Anyone Have a Reliable 1 Gallon Recipe for Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchensqueen

Reaction score
My husband would like to make a red ale and we're set up to brew one gallon batches. I'd like to buy the ingredients for him as a Father's Day gift. Anyone have a reliable recipe they'd like to share, or can point me to?

Thanks!

Two ideas-
1- check w/ your LHBS for recipe ideas
2- if you have a red ale recipe for a larger size batch plug it into a brewing program & scale it down. There are several free or free trial programs on the market

Thanks, but I don't have a LHBS close enough by and I've never brewed a larger batch - we're brand new to brewing. So I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks - that one looks great! Good to know the recipe will scale so easily - this opens a lot of doors for newbies such as myself.

Okay, I scaled the recipe down - anyone want to double-check me to see if I made any glaring errors?

82% 8lb 4oz American Two-row (1.7 pounds)
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (Franco Belges 80L is best) (1.6 ounces)
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L* (1.6 ounces)
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L* (1.6 ounces)
2% 3 oz Melanoidin Malt* (0.6 ounce)
1% 2 oz Carafa II special (0.4 ounce)
0% 1/2 oz Roasted Barley - 550L (0.1 ounce)
Mashed at ~152
60 mins 1.0oz Palisades pellet 8.1* (0.2 ounce)
20 mins .5oz Sterling leaf 7.0* (0.1 ounce)
10 mins .5oz Willamette leaf 4.5 (0.1 ounce)
Rehydrated pack of US-05* (half pack)
Dry hop 7 days .5oz Cascade leaf 7.0 (0.1 ounce)

A gallon of beer is not that much...Can't you go bigger?

I mean 3.5 would better.

OldWorld said:
A gallon of beer is not that much...Can't you go bigger?

I mean 3.5 would better.

If he wants to brew 1g then let him. Some of us don't have room for larger batches.

Didn't see the amounts in parentheses at first. Yeah, your scaling looks about right. Your LHBS employee is probably going to look at you funny when you asking for 1.6oz of three grains.... and 0.6oz of another...

And for the record, I still brew 2.25gal batches. I'm really the only one that drinks beer in my house and I don't drink every day. So hey. I can understand small batch sizes. 1gal is starting to get pretty small though. Just becomes tough scaling down recipes. "Uh yeah, can I have 12 kernels of crystal 60 please?" lol

Firebird is right, you'll get a wired look from the LHBS employees. I would just get a pound of each and measure yourself. Use the leftovers in future brews.

Your numbers are pretty close to what got from Beer Smith. I didn't know your equipment profile so had to make so
E assumptions- WAG's

Thanks everyone, glad to know my numbers are accurate. Yeah, I order my grain in 1/2 or 1 pound sizes, then I'll measure it out at home. Gives me leftovers if I want to do another batch of it later too.

Back