Keggle Dip Tube issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Building up my home brewery slowly (no time or $$). I have my Keggle 99% done just need a thermometer.

I just got my new burner in, so I thought I should test out a few things.
I filled my Keggle with 5g of water and drained it and recorded what was left in the HLT/BK and the 1.5g left in the Keggle shocked me !!!???? Is this normal or is my DIY Dip Tube NFG ???

I also did a 5g 60min Boil (just water) and noted that I boiled off 1.25/1.5g.

Are my #'s correct ?? Any help would be great .

BK2.jpg

BK.jpg

You'll need a hose on the other end of your ball valve to create a siphon. The end of that hose will need to be below the bottom of your kettle to drain all the liquid.

You'll need a hose on the other end of your ball valve to create a siphon. The end of that hose will need to be below the bottom of your kettle to drain all the liquid.

+1.. I ran 5 gallons thru mine about 3 times before I figured this out. Also make sure the hose is clamped on so no air can mix in..

Also make sure your dip tube is airtight. Instead of the ferrule(s) it comes with, I use 2 silicon o-rings (that mine also came with).
Mine leaves almost an immeasurable amount in the bottom.

Building up my home brewery slowly (no time or $$). I have my Keggle 99% done just need a thermometer.

I just got my new burner in, so I thought I should test out a few things.
I filled my Keggle with 5g of water and drained it and recorded what was left in the HLT/BK and the 1.5g left in the Keggle shocked me !!!???? Is this normal or is my DIY Dip Tube NFG ???

I also did a 5g 60min Boil (just water) and noted that I boiled off 1.25/1.5g.

Are my #'s correct ?? Any help would be great .

I typically lose 2 gallons to evaporation.

WOW ThX guys !
Sight glass came from BobbyM. Hey Bobby, I noticed boiling in my sight glass. Should I look into a heat sheild as well ??

The heat shield SHOULD stop the sight glass boil. It drops the fitting temp by nearly 100F. I personally do not get boiling in my sight glass in the BK at all. The fitting stays at about 205F.

ThX Dutch !! I would have still been scratching my head with this.

This, or a pump. With a pump you won't have to elevate your keg/burner.

Have a Chugger that I will be using, but the "siphon" thing went over my head. LOL.

ThX ALL !!!! :mug:

Looks great. Assembling mine now. Was your dip tube set up from Bobby_M as well? Was thinking about picking up the dip tube bulkhead option and the thermometer sight glass comno

I had this same problem. I have a 1/2" ID stainless pipe as a diptube and had the same size on the outside dropping down about 6". The keggle would leave a couple of gallons in it. I went with a 1/2" OD pipe on the outside and now it will drain all but about 2 tbls. Not sure why it worked, just glad it did.

Back