I planted hops today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Well it is a nice weekend here in the thumb of Michigan so I finally planted the hops today. I have fuggles, Goldings, N.Brewer, Centennials. I hope they grow good as I am shooting from the hip again.

Mine (all 2-3 years) are in various states of growth: the Sunbeam is about an inch tall and the Fuggles is around 5 feet and I've trimmed extra bines twice. I got a few hops off of the Fuggles first year.

I planted a hops variety from seed last year, and nothing grew. This season, I wanted to plant the rest of the seeds, and when i went to the spot where I'm going to grow them, there were already 2 small hops plants growing! The seeds survived the entire winter, and popped up this year!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what variety of hops these are :( It doesn't matter too much to me, because I was doing it really just for novelty.

5gB

You really do not want to grow hops from seeds. The only ones that are available are ornamentals. Sometimes there will be seeds in whole hops, but there's no telling what you'll get.

I am growing Fuggles & Tettnager hop in lower michigan & there are growing FAST.

Is it too late to plant rhizomes?

I need to get them in the ground. It has been cold here though. Thoughts?

- WW

wilsonwj said:

I think they need roughly 120 days to harvest, so you're probably still OK...given the recent NE cold snap, probably good that you waited until now. I'm in Western PA, and I put mine in the ground a couple weeks ago. Had a scare this week with some lows in the 30's, but no frost and everything looks OK. All 4 varieties showing growth of 2-8".

Helpful info
http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html
http://www.freshops.com/garden.html

olllllo said:
I understand that you shouldn't expect hop flowers the first year and that this period is for establihing a root system.

I've heard that too, though the last time I planted rhizomes (10+ yrs ago) I got cones the first year.

wilsonwj said:

I need to get them in the ground. It has been cold here though. Thoughts?

- WW

I was having the same issues (here in lovely Massachusetts we can count on having atleast one frost sometime in May before Memorial day) and decided to plant anyway. If it's too late i'll just have to wait until next year when they decide to come up on their own. :D

Back