Mirror Mirror Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoZzyFresh

Reaction score
Anyone have a clone of this one? I know i read a thread that someone said they had one but it was not in their drop down list. Bueller?....Anyone, anyone?:tank:

Anyone have a clone of this one? I know i read a thread that someone said they had one but it was not in their drop down list. Bueller?....Anyone, anyone?:tank:

I can't help too much, but it is definitely lots of galena hops being used. I'd be interested to make this for winter 2010 and I could walk to the brewery and compare. Let's hope we can find something.

http://hopville.com/recipe/82604/american-barleywine-recipes/mirror-mirror-clone

Found one...the cascade looks right, but centennial is probably off. Those guys use galena for bittering everything...

They also probably use the house yeast, which is close to Thames Valley imo. Wyeast 1275.

EDIT: The bitterness looks a little low too, I think a straight galena switch for centennial could do well.

yeah looks exactly like mine except i'm using magnum for bittering cause that's what's in the freezer with the highest alpha right now :cross:....now i just have to be prepared to deal with 40lbs of grain in my mash keg.....good thing we got the high temp pump and recirculation through a coil in the HLT now.....otherwise i'd never be able to heat this if mash temp dropped....tooooo much to stir :mug:...gonna brew it on the 21st so itll have about a month to age before christmas :rockin:.

EDIT- ill actually prolly only do 5 gallons the first time so volume in mash will be irrelevant, sweet....by the way great website dkersh!

How much LME do you think would work for this?

I'm thinking something like a couple tons of LME, 1 lb Munich, 1lb dextrin, 1 lb Crystal 40 for a 5 gal batch?

That is one of the greatest personal brewer webpages I have seen yet! I am signing up for brewblogger for sure!!

How much LME do you think would work for this?

I'm thinking something like a couple tons of LME, 1 lb Munich, 1lb dextrin, 1 lb Crystal 40 for a 5 gal batch?

By my calculations, 12lbs for 5gal.

Thanks for the compliments on the site, I am still ironing out the kinks on importing from Beersmith, but the guy who makes the CMS is a homebrewer and makes a good product.

Not sure about Mirror Mirror, but you can get the Mirror Pond recipe straight from the brewers mouth in this podcast. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/559

If Mirror Mirror is anything like a double version of Mirror Pond, then none of those recipes come close to the amount of hopping that would be necessary.

If I get some time this weekend, I will just go ask them. They usually are pretty open when you ask em at the brewery.

If I get some time this weekend, I will just go ask them. They usually are pretty open when you ask em at the brewery.

It's definitely more than just Mirror Pond doubled up. At least part of the beer is barrel-aged and I'm guess different ratios of grain and hops are used.

But I bet doubling the mirror pond recipe would still kick ass!

Has anything further come from the research on getting this thing going? Have any of you started this yet?

Yea,

we brewed this last week and although we did not hit our goal...a little sugar helped with that :p. It's still rocking the primary and has a deliciously floral hop smell to it. After primary finishes we will check it to see if it needs any champagne yeast to finish it off although we normally have great attenuation. I will keep the thread posted as it progresses...next step is to dry hop for 30 days.. I never ever bottle anymore but i think this one will be going in wine style bottles and conditioned in them as well. :mug:

Yea,

we brewed this last week and although we did not hit our goal...a little sugar helped with that :p. It's still rocking the primary and has a deliciously floral hop smell to it. After primary finishes we will check it to see if it needs any champagne yeast to finish it off although we normally have great attenuation. I will keep the thread posted as it progresses...next step is to dry hop for 30 days.. I never ever bottle anymore but i think this one will be going in wine style bottles and conditioned in them as well. :mug:

Although I am sure you know, make sure not to carbonate in wine bottles. Champagne would work fine though.

I have mine scheduled for brewing in January...will update this post when I brew it.

Although I am sure you know, make sure not to carbonate in wine bottles. Champagne would work fine though.

Good point ;) I am thinking like the brew dog/dogfish rarity type bottles. I wanna be able to send it to some family members.

dry hopping for thirty days is probably going to be excessive, and could draw out grassy flavors that will not make for a good clone of this beer.

dry hopping for thirty days is probably going to be excessive, and could draw out grassy flavors that will not make for a good clone of this beer.

yeah well some people like it and some don't. we will be tasting every 5 days or so to see when we wanna stop. Might be quick....might not... Plus there is oak in it to simulate barrel aging and i wanna keep that subtle.

Back