So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently boiling a honey ale, racked the raspberry wheat to the secondary earlier today.

Hey, it's a whole new weekend out there. Get out and brew!!

Today is another ingredient test batch for me. I've never used honey malt before:

5 gallons:

8 lbs U.S. 2-row
1.5 lbs Vienna
0.5 lbs Honey Malt
0.25 lbs Flaked Barley
39 IBU Centennial hops
S-05

Crush starts after I get done directing little league traffic around the bases.

OK, this is the best hydro sample I've ever tasted. Good chance I've found a new favorite grain:mug:

brewed up another batch of my southern tier hopsun clone today. 5-6 weeks to tapping!! :ban:

Two brews planned for this weekend.

A Blonde Ale on Saturday and a Beaver Tail Brown on Sunday.

My Pale Ale brewed two weeks ago is in secondary and clearing nicely.

I am hopping it will be ready for Memorial Day Weekend and my 55th birthday :D

S'posed to be a scorcher this weekend. I'll celebrate by brewing out by the pool so the kids can splash pool water in my kettle.

I'm thinking American Amber. May switch to an English style amber at the last second. Maybe a brown ale of some sort instead. God I love bulk grains/bulk hops/cleaning out the LHBS of their yeasts:mug::rockin:

Brewing a light amber ale this weekend:

10.0lbs Pils Malt
1.00lbs Vienna
1.00lbs Crystal 60L
1.00lbs Flaked Corn

0.75oz Sterling @ 60
0.25oz Sterling @ 5
0.25oz Saaz @ 5

US-05

Will adjust gravity with a little corn sugar if my efficiency is too low.

:mug:

Well, I've decided on an English Ale. Turns out after surfing around the recipe database it will be much like Orphy's Hobgoblin, but a bit smaller. Should be good:mug:

how do I not have Munich?:(

Bottling a double IPA tomorrow night and then brewing an Irish Red Ale with leftover Edinburgh yeast from a Wee Heavy I made on Monday night. Two batches in a week has to be a record for me.:rockin:

Nut Brown on Sunday, pitching onto the yeast from the APA I brewed last week. This is all in preparation for a barleywine I'm going to brew in a couple weeks.

working swing shift ( closing ) this weekend. So no brewing. Will spy on the Pol and see just how precise he is on line. :)

Will be doing Jamil's Blond ale tomorrow, but with MO. So I guess it will be a SMASH since all it will be is MO (not including the crystal) and Williamette.

Pol,
I peeked in and you were talking to the camera, then you went away.

How did the beer turn out?

Nice rig too..

Ahhh, thanks for checking in! The brew session was great. Hit my OG of 1.053 and 82% eff. My buddy in Louisville brewed this same brew, in the same rig and nailed the same eff.

I will be broadcasting again, it was fun to involve yall in it.

Thursday, I brewed a Belgian pale. Today I did a 10 gallon blonde batch. Tomorrow I am making a wit. That should be the last of the beer for my brother's wedding in June.

Wow, this is a good OG sample:

8 1/2 lbs M.O.
1/2 lbs Crystal 60
1/2 lbs Carapils
5.3 oz British Chocolate
.5 oz Styrian Goldings FWH, 30, 20, 10
Pitched S-05
Mashed at 156*

OG: 1.048
IBU: 25

Looking forward to this one:mug:

Wow, this is a good OG sample:

8 1/2 lbs M.O.
1/2 lbs Crystal 60
1/2 lbs Carapils
5.3 oz British Chocolate
.5 oz Styrian Goldings FWH, 30, 20, 10
Pitched S-05
Mashed at 156*

OG: 1.048
IBU: 25

Looking forward to this one:mug:

yummy.
may have to swap a bottle or two :tank:

Bringing Edwort's Robust Porter up to a boil now. Testing out a 2000W heatstick to see if it can bring 7+ gallons to a boil to prepare for indoor winter brewing this coming winter.

About to drain first runnings of a 10G batch of BM's Sweet Sweet Wit or wahtever it's called. I called it Black Pepper Wit.

Rack'd my Eh,Rye Not to keg to age untill this is ready to drink as well. 5G for home, 5G to take to a music festival mid June

Extract version of SWMBO Slayer on the stove. If it passes the SWMBO test it may evolve into a Strawberry Blonde to match the girl.

I brewed 10g. AG of BM's Wit yesterday. Zested my oranges on Friday meaning to brew that day but got held up with other chores. So my zest was a little dry when I did brew. Smells great but we'll see. Today I'm brewing a quick 5g. extract of that Dogfish Head Blood Orange Hefe. Come to think of it, I'm drinking a Hefe as I type. Later today I'll be kegging 10gal. of my Beagle Blonde Ale.

Dang it, missed the 10 minute hop addition 'cause I'm typing!:mad:

Bringing Edwort's Robust Porter up to a boil now. Testing out a 2000W heatstick to see if it can bring 7+ gallons to a boil to prepare for indoor winter brewing this coming winter.

I am interested in how well 2000W will boil 7+ gallons

My guess is about 1:20 to get from 70F to 210F. When I am boiling I use about 3850W to boil 7+ gallons and keep it at a rolling boil.

I am interested in how well 2000W will boil 7+ gallons

My guess is about 1:20 to get from 70F to 210F. When I am boiling I use about 3850W to boil 7+ gallons and keep it at a rolling boil.

I got impatient. Not sure exactly how long it took. But it took about 35 min to get my sparge water from 125 to 185.

When I was bringing the wort to a boil, I used propane to get it to around 195 and water to see if the 2000W element alone was enough to get it to a boil. I never did get a rolling boil though. I got a small amount of wort to boil right around the element, but could not get the entire 7+ gal to a boil. The temp was averaging around 206 when I decided I didn't want to compromise the beer, so I turned on the propane to bring to a rolling boil.

And I wasn't sure how the nylon paint strainer would work with the heatstick, so I just used propane for the boil.

This was just the second experiment with the heatstick (first time I used it to raise my mash temp when I was off 3 degrees rather than adding boiling water), I've got all summer to test it out. Next time I'll try with a pre-boil volume under 7 gal to see if that helps. My end goal is to be able to brew year round, right now I don't bother brewing from mid Nov until the ground thaws sometime in March or April.

Yah, in practice, I need to keep about 3500W to 3800W to MAINTAIN a nice rolling boil in the BK with 7+ gallons of wort.

If you had (2) 2000W heat sticks, it would work great.

Brewed the AHS American Wheat this weekend. My first time brewing since March 1st. Apparently I've been busy.

Yah, in practice, I need to keep about 3500W to 3800W to MAINTAIN a nice rolling boil in the BK with 7+ gallons of wort.

If you had (2) 2000W heat sticks, it would work great.

I had a feeling 2 heat sticks might be necessary. I used the directions on this website How to Build an Electric Homebrewing Heatstick Audio Tutorial Podcast and Step by Step Photo Instructions and they used 2 to get a rolling boil and then 1 to maintain the boil. But that would require an extra 20A circuit running to my basement, because I don't think one 20A circuit can handle two 2000W heat sticks. Good thing it would be very easy to add a second circuit.

Used a prior yeast slurry of nottingham for Edwort's Porter and it's already bubbling away 3 hours after pitching.

Back