can't wash the beer smell out of brew bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pejepscot

Reaction score
Hi Guys'

Tomorrow I am planning to start my 4th batch in my food-grade plastic bucket (primary fermenter). After each successive batch the plastic has retained more and more "beer smell". While it's not an unpleasant smell, I'm afraid it will impart off flavors to my next batch.

I wash the bucket immediately once it is emptied with hot soapy water, plenty of rinse and then Star San sanitization - but the smell persists.

Any advice?

Ren

My plastic beer bucket smells like the last batch no matter what I do. It doesnt seem to affect the next batch however. I'M mostly using glass carboys now. When you clean them there's no smell after.

The easiest way to remedy that problem is... don't put you face in the bucket. It's going to get stained and retain smells, but as long as it's clean, scratch free and sanitized before use, you will be fine.

There are a couple things you could do to remove the smell if it really bothers you. As posted previously, I don't think there is a problem though. Try mixing a solution of about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and wipe down the inside of the bucket with it for a couple minutes. Let it sit wet for about 3-5 minutes and then fill the bucket with water. Let that sit for 30 minutes or so, dump it, and then rinse the bucket. I bet the smell will be gone.

Mike from Port Jefferson Brewing said that if it it smells it could harbor bacteria. He recommended Iodophor which I have yet to buy with no infetion yet.

I have soaked mine in Oxyclean for two days and the smell diminished but still slightly remained.

I just make sure I sanitize well after washing and before using.

There are a couple things you could do to remove the smell if it really bothers you. As posted previously, I don't think there is a problem though. Try mixing a solution of about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and wipe down the inside of the bucket with it for a couple minutes. Let it sit wet for about 3-5 minutes and then fill the bucket with water. Let that sit for 30 minutes or so, dump it, and then rinse the bucket. I bet the smell will be gone.

That's what I would do. Personally I don't think the smell is a big deal just be sure to sanitize well and there shouldn't be a problem.

A bucket that smells like beer might potentially make your beer smell like beer. If you have a problem with that, don't use buckets. I'm OK with my beer smelling like beer personally.

Back