What are my portable dispensing options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hosting a golf tournament next month and need to figure out the best way for me to dispense some homebrew. I've never tried to do anything other than my kegerator. I've got a 5lb tank, some cornys, and a dual regulator. Is there something out there I can connect directly to the post on my corny? Something small? I won't be around to correct anything that may arrise. I've got duties to attend to (namely drinking a lot of beer and golfing). So, I need something simple. I'm not sure I could trust anyone to be able to handle my kegerator set up. I'm not really willing to bottle up 100 beers and then be rid of all my hard earned bottles. Don't really want to buy anything smaller either. I really would like to just use my 5 gallon cornies.

Many people attach taps to coolers full of ice and run the tubing from the keg through the ice in the cooler up to the tap. That's how all of the local breweries did it a the local brewfest.

I was checking out Northern Brewer.com and I think they have the items you are looking for. I have used the "picnic style" dispenser... much like the ones we used in college, along with the CO2 charger. Works great, but the only thing about the charger is that you have to change the CO2 cartridge when it runs out. Anyway, here is the link and if you scroll down you'll see the different options you have.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/kegs-disconnects.html

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18301//CO2_Injector_Ball_Lock
phpThumb.php

Never used it so not sure how well it works.

I'll second the charger and picnic tap. Carb as you normally would at home, then use the charger at the event to dispense. Keep the kegs on ice, you're good to go.

I used this set up before I had the keezer. Used maybe 2 or 3 CO2s per keg

Personally I would just get a trash can and put the keg in it with ice. Strap that and the 5lb CO2 tank on to the back of a golf cart and balance the system for about 3ft of dispensing tubing and use a cobra tap.

I have done all this except for the strap to the golf cart part. People know how to use the cobra taps and never have to mess with the pressure side so I did not have to babysit it at all.

I have one and it works like a champ. Just make sure folks don't mess with it otherwise some tard will pull the trigger and dump the whole cartridge.

Here's my portable kegerator.

Beer2Go-1.jpg

Beer2Go-3.jpg

This works great if you have 3 gallon cornies. For 5 gallon cornies, something like the KegGlove might be better. It's a insulating sleeve with a built in ice pack.

5glredlarge.jpg

http://stores.ebay.com/KEG-GLOVE

The problem with the charger being unattended is two-fold. First, you can't trust people to tap the trigger ONLY for a second and ONLY when the pour slows down too much. Even if they follow a posted sign, it's going to need replacing after 1/3rd of the keg is dispensed.

I'd say running your regulated bottle is the way to go. It will dispense the entire thing in an unattended manner. You should be able to get two cornies and your co2 into a garbage can full of ice. Use picnic faucets that stick out through a slot in the lid.

Maybe this would be the way to go then. I'd like to have everything contained so it can't get screwed up. You cannot underestimate the stupidiy of your friends and or strangers (especially when drinking beer).

With those CO2 chargers: do you basically just hit them when they stop pouring? I just got one, and I'm trying to make sure I'm not one of those "tards."

Keep in mind that you only need to chill the bottom third of the corny, as they dispense from the bottom, so a big igloo round cooler will work fine.

A local HBS here has sorted out a way to use Paintball gun tanks (About the size of your standard Propane Torch bottle) with a standard regulator for portability. I have bought one of these for "emergency" use in case my gas bottle runs empty and I can't git it filled immediately. He also refills them for $5 each.

With those CO2 chargers: do you basically just hit them when they stop pouring? I just got one, and I'm trying to make sure I'm not one of those "tards."

They're not pressure regulated at all. You put the charger on to the disconnect and CAREFULLY attach it to the keg making sure you don't pull the trigger on the charger. You'll put 600psi into the sealed connector and blow it up.

You just tap the trigger WHILE CONNECTED to the keg if you need a little more head pressure to pour. I'd say you get about 3-5 pints to pour between 1-second shots.

Back