is there a diy immersion chiller tutorial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
Has any one created a DIY tutorial for making your own immersion chiller?

I just order 50 foot of refrigerant tube from coopertubingsales. And would like to read a tutorial on how to turn the raw tube into my own chiller.

As well as how you guys recommend bending the shape and spacing. I saw on B3 many differnet shapes based upon kettle size and boil size. I expect to used it for 5 gal full boils and one day to do 10 gal full boils.

Should this dictate the shape and hieght of coils?
I do not know what my future kettle will look like yet.

I currently have a 5gal SS pot for indoor brewing, a 7 gal alum turkey fryer for outdoor full boils and want to get a 14-15 gal ss kettle with ball lock this spring summer.

Thanks in advance

No but Moonshae and I are recording one tonight. It should be on youtube by the weekend. I don't think everyone building one is going to need a tutorial, but it will show one method for making one that is adaptable from a dedicated 5 gallon chiller, up to a keggle based batch.

make it anyway you want it... there is no ONE PERFECT way to do things in the brewing world, you should know this...

If you're still looking for a tutorial, I'll be posting it to youtube tonight and creating a thread here in the DIY forum. Here's a pic of the finished product:

immersionchiller03uk2.jpg

That is some nice copper sweating there Bobby :). Can't wait to see this thing in action on the 6th ;).

I just sweated some copper under my kitchen sink.. didn't look anywhere as neat as yours:cross:

Bobby,

For those of us that lack the equipment and/or the know-how to weld/solder, would the SharkBite brand of fittings work? I saw some of these at HomeDepot and was curious. Have you, or anyone for that matter, used this product? Thanks.

-- Robert

rsava423 said:
Bobby,

For those of us that lack the equipment and/or the know-how to weld/solder, would the SharkBite brand of fittings work? I saw some of these at HomeDepot and was curious. Have you, or anyone for that matter, used this product? Thanks.

-- Robert

Yeah they work, I've coupled copper to the plastic water line pipe on our house boat and it worked fine.

This is a public service announcement. Solder? You can do it! For the added price of the sharkbites, you can buy a basic soldering kit over in the tool section of lowes/depot. This is a perfect project to learn on. Then you'll have supplies and know how for other soldering projects around the house. Watch the vid I post later tonight and then think about it.

Craig... this chiller actually belongs to HBT member: Moonshae, not me. The only reason I got my mitts on it is because I wanted a topic for another youtube video and he played cameraman.

Bobby_M said:
Watch the vid I post later tonight and then think about it.

Aww, man, later? Not on there now? :D Ok, I'll make sure to check it out tonight. Your other videos, as well as Yuri_Rage's, help quite a bit! Keep it up!

Yeah, Bobby's gone past the immersion chiller...his counterflow is pretty sweet.

Bobby's expertise definitely made my chiller infinitely better than what I would have done on my own...countless trips to HD to "buy the right sized parts this time" and to "replace the f***ed up pieces I overheated..."

I know that this thread is old but I didn't see anyone mention that you should be using lead free solder. Not the kind you get from Radio Shack, etc..

Back