Massive amounts of C02 coming out of the keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarrelheadBrew

Reaction score
I'm sure this or something like it has been posted somewhere, but every attempt to locate it has come to nothing... I've got some skeeter pee on tap that is blowing an awful lot of carbonation when I draw on it. I've cheked the post that draws the liquid out, thinking maybe there was a hole in it that was allowing gas in as well as the liquid. It's air tight. The seals are all new, and worked fine for the first gallon or so. Poppets are clean and functional, as best as I can tell. and the gas/liquid lines are on correct.

I'm not having issues with any of the other three I have on tap. I just can't figure out why it's being so problematic. Pressure seems to have little effect on this issue. It's not carbonated, and anyways the issue is not a results of carbonation collecting in the lines... It's large burps of gas. When it comes out, it pretty much gurgles. Not sure where to go from here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Everything you're describing sounds exactly like a compromised dip tube o-ring on the liquid side. I know you said you checked the post and poppet, but did you remove the liquid OUT post to inspect the dip tube o-ring?

It's also possible there's a pinhole somewhere in the liquid dip tube, so after pouring fine for part of the keg suddenly it's foam city. I think someone else mentioned that this happened to them. That's pretty unlikely though.

It's not foamy at all. There are large gulps of co2 coming out. I checked the post. It, so far as i can tell, is uncompromised. Checked the o ring, and it looked ok, i didn't inspect it thoroughly though.. guess I'll check that and report back.

Yeah "foam city" wasn't the most descriptive term :p

I mean CO2 being injected directly into the liquid line. If there's any beer present, that means foam city. Take off the liquid post with a wrench and check out the dip tube o-ring. Probably worth replacing it either way. Make sure you don't crank down on the post when you reinstall, that can crush the o-ring.

Is this what it looks like? :D Foam City:

Brand%20Foam%20City%2048$.jpg

It's probably a hole in the dip tube itself. Once the fluid level went below the hole it's now pulling liquid and gas into the tube.

Back