Lagering question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommysauder

Reaction score
So my lager is doing a d-rest (12 days at 53F) and started the d-rest today (will let rise to 65F for 3 days). Then I will check my gravity. But my question is, if my gravity is fairly steady, can I bottle it, let it sit at 60F for a few weeks to combine the lagering/carbing period? And if so, would I need to add priming sugar if it is going to sit for such a long time?

Thanks for the input!

edit: Meant let it sit at 60F for 2 weeks then drop to 30s for a few weeks

Ideally, you'll want to bulk lager before you bottle, preferably a week for every 8 original gravity points. Lagering temps are usually mid to high 30's as well (closer to freezing is best IMO). Letting it sit in the 60s will surely allow it to carb, but I wouldn't count this as part of the lagering phase.

What you're proposing though, will work. Bottle when complete, let it carb up, and then stick the bottles in the fridge to lager. It may not give you the best results though.

Ok, I'm looking for a good lager and with my lack of equipment, I would like to try a bottling lager for now. Now would I still need to add priming sugar or no? What if I lager it when it's a few points above expected FG?

Yes, definitely add priming sugar. You could theoretically just bottle when it's a few points over expected FG, but what if it drops more than expected, or doesn't drop any more? You'd end up with either too much or too little carbonation. Wait until it's at a stable gravity, add your sugar to your bottling bucket, rack, and bottle. You'll get more predictable results (and no bottle bombs).

True enough. Thanks StoneHands for the help, very new to homebrewing still!

So once stable FG, prime, bottle, carb for a week and a bit and lager. I'll come back and post the results of the bottle conditioning in a few weeks ;)

(btw - drinking heineken right now because it was a free case, and would actually drink what I just brewed)

or....... you can lager the whole thing at 34-36 degrees, and add more yeast, and bulk prime before bottling.;)

Don't have any means necessary to put the bucket at that temperature especially as the warmer weather is coming. Going to let it d-rest until Sunday then into the really cold cellar until the week after. Then I'll have to prime/bottle and let it carb up for 2 weeks then cold crash for a couple more. Won't be the perfect lager but will have to do until I get some more equipment!

Don't have any means necessary to put the bucket at that temperature especially as the warmer weather is coming. Going to let it d-rest until Sunday then into the really cold cellar until the week after. Then I'll have to prime/bottle and let it carb up for 2 weeks then cold crash for a couple more. Won't be the perfect lager but will have to do until I get some more equipment!

Totally understand! Then do what you can, with what you have. Even though it won't be a perfect lager as you have said, it will still be beer:D

Back