has anyone used cinnamon sticks while making wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOrphan

Reaction score
im gonna brew a red ale and i was thinking of giving it a little spice by adding cinnamon sticks while making the wort. has anyone tried this before? and if you have do you have any advice or maybe a certain amount i should try?

I recently brewed a pumpkin ale and used 3 ~3" sticks for a 5 gallon batch along with some cloves and nutmeg. I added the spices about 10 minutes before flame out along with finishing hops. The batch turned out very well, although personally I would tone down the spices a bit for a red ale; perhaps try 1 or 2 sticks? Also, I would definitely recommend using a bag because the spices turned to mush during the boil.

I just made a holiday beer with nutmeg, ginger and a cinnamon stick. Added all with 10 minutes left in the boil. Planning on "dryhopping" with another cinnamon stick for a week or so before I bottle.

I don't like the cinnamon overpowering the brew...I prefer to add it at flameout now since I added it once at 15 minutes, and even months later it was only beginning to mellow.

Back