First all grain batch gone wrong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homerj48

Reaction score
Ok so I have brewed about 8 batches of extract and all turned out great. So I decided to try my hand at a my first all grain batch...wheat. It has 5.5 lbs 2-row, 1 lbs munich malt, 4 lbs wheat malt, and .5 lbs rice hull. 9 grams of magnum 1st wort hop.
I had 3 gal mash temp of 152 for 60 min, 3 gal batch sparge 152 for 10 min, 3 gal batch of 158 for 5 min
60 min boil
10 min left I added 12 grams centennial and 1 tbsp irish moss
Flame out I added 26 grams centennial

It took about 20 min to bring wort down to 70*
my Og was 1008

I think the issue was my grain wasn't crushed properly. I noticed the next day what crushed grains look like and mine where not crushed. I got them from my local brew shop but he just opened and dosen't crush grains. So I used a rolling pin to crush grains and even though I thought I did a good job I think after seeing properly crushed grains that I may have only had 10-20 % crushed.

So that night I tried to add more sugar into the wort before pitching my yeast and but instead of adding sugar I added 4.4 of fresh watermelon and 1.2 lbs of fresh cherries. After doing this my OG went to 1020

I pitched the yest and put it in my controlled fridge and set it at 64*

That was July 21st. It's stayed in there till Aug 6. Then cranked fridge down to 44* and waited for the everything to settle out. Now today Aug 11 I pulled it out ready to prime it and bottle it. I got a final gravity of 1002. I took a drink of it and it taste awful. So I put it back in the fridge and figured I would ask for advice.

I realize now that if I would have just used some DME after that first OG reading that I could have saved myself some heart ace. Now I'm just wondering if it will taste better after carbonating (however I doubt it since it has a funky taste...almost a sour fruit taste and bitter but not a good bitter.

I have some left over Magnum hops and a little 2-row, wheat, and rice hull left. I thought I could try and brew a little more wort and try and re ferment this with the added wort.

Sorry so long... This is my first post on here. Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have a dumper. Sounds like your brew day went well, with the exception of the grain not being completely crushed. I'm surprised that your local shop dosen't crush grains, or at the very least, has a mill where you can crush the grains. Keep at it. If it weren't for that one learning experience, you'd probably have a pretty tastey brew.

I agree that this batch is a complete loss and a good learning experience, time to move on...

Your process looks pretty good except for your grain crush. If your shop doesnt have a mill, you need your own mill to do all grain. A rolling pin wont cut it. You need a good crush. The shop I go to has a new mill on order because their old one is getting worn, the mill itself is bent so that the gap doesnt close. This has lowered my efficiency a good bit. Getting a good crush is really important to get a good efficiency and consistent numbers. You might want to sparge in the 160's too, but that wont affect you as much as the crush.

Just wondering. Why would one want to dump fruit into a "first run batch" ? I think if I were trying something for the first time I would go by the book. Maybe the recipe called for it ?

Thanks for the replys. No the recipe didn't call for fruit. But I was thinking of tryin a watermelon wheat beer at some point. Since I such a low og I decided that I would throw fruit in to increase og. It worked for most part but after all was done I learned I could have just used dme to get my og up. Oh well live and learn.

Yeah I can see that now. I am in process of building my own grain mill. Hopefully it works out. Snaged the design from a guy on net. I wanna buy in bulk at some point anyway. So it'd be a good thing to have.

I agree with all of the above. I, too, had used the pin on parital mashes when I was going to all-grain with crappy efficiency until I had the HBS do it. Now, I have a Barley Crusher and its great. I crush the heck out of the grain. Word to the wise though, crush it too much and you'll get a stuck sparge. I started with the factory setting(0.039) and went from there. My rollers are set now at a little tighter than a credit card. I use a march pump for wort recirculation and transfer and haven't had a stuck sparge yet (maybe due to the pump, maybe not). Good luck with the crusher build. I'm interested in how it turns out.

Back