Infusion vs Step Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
Not sure if this thread would be better in the "All Grain Mash" section, but I thought I'd pick the brains of the scientists amongst us.

I'm brewing an all-grain tripel this weekend. I've only brewed about 5 or 6 all grain beers so far (a recent convert from extract), so I'm still a novice. However, for all of my earlier beers, I used a step mash. In BLAM, however, Stan suggests using a single infusion mash at 146° for Belgian ales. Why? What would this do? What's the advantages either way?

Mainly, fermentability of the wort. Belgians are typically quite dry.

Mashing lower favors beta amylase which favors maltose production, whereas mashing higher favors alpha amylase which makes more dextrins and longer-chain sugars that aren't as readily fermentable.

Not sure if this thread would be better in the "All Grain Mash" section, but I thought I'd pick the brains of the scientists amongst us.

I'm brewing an all-grain tripel this weekend. I've only brewed about 5 or 6 all grain beers so far (a recent convert from extract), so I'm still a novice. However, for all of my earlier beers, I used a step mash. In BLAM, however, Stan suggests using a single infusion mash at 146° for Belgian ales. Why? What would this do? What's the advantages either way?

I don't believe he actually recommends that. If I remember correctly, he quotes someone stating that if you're doing a single infusion mash you should probably do it at 146 and not mash out at all. Anyways, the reason for the 146 temp is what Ty said.

On page 222, in the "What Works" section, he write: "Mash for attenuation. Use a single-infusion mash between 146 and 149° F or consider a step mash such as at Ommegang. However, remember there is a chance with highly modified malts that a step mash (the protein rest, specifically) may degrade proteins too much and can cause a loss of body and head. With beers that have some sugar in them, the danger is greater."

On page 222, in the "What Works" section, he write: "Mash for attenuation. Use a single-infusion mash between 146 and 149° F or consider a step mash such as at Ommegang. However, remember there is a chance with highly modified malts that a step mash (the protein rest, specifically) may degrade proteins too much and can cause a loss of body and head. With beers that have some sugar in them, the danger is greater."

First, a step mash doesn't have to include a protein rest. I don't know if Ommegang does one or not. However, he's not saying that you shouldn't do a step mash for a Belgian-style beer, he's just saying that if you do a single infusion mash it should be in the 146-149 range. Obviously Ommegang, who produce great Belgian beers, successfully do a step mash.

True enough (and I've only ever used step before). it seemed, though, that he was favoring single infusion.

Regardless, which method do you think would produce a better tripel? A single mash at 146°, or a step?

True enough (and I've only ever used step before). it seemed, though, that he was favoring single infusion.

Regardless, which method do you think would produce a better tripel? A single mash at 146°, or a step?

I can't really say, as I've always done single infusion mashes. If I remember BLAM correctly, the monks use a step mash, though.

Back