Dumb mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marmadoon

Reaction score
Brewed on Sunday using Brewers Best IPA kit. I made the dumb mistake of putting the DME in the bag with the grains. I'm wondering how much of the DME stayed in the bag; what effect will it have on the final beer. The OG was 1.052 @ 72 F. The recipe called for an OG of 1.062
Fermentation started within 10 hours @ about 63F. Should I do anything? If so, what?
Thanks, Willie:confused:

Umm...we've all done something that sounded right but we just screwed up. For instance, I once put a frozen pizza directly on the rack without a pan because the directions said "put directly on rack".
Anyway, I don't think there is much you can do in this situation except letting it be. It won't have as much alcohol as an average IPA but it will still taste good. I wouldn't risk boiling more DME and adding it at this point.
Is this your first homebrew?

I wouldn't do anything at this point. 1.052 is a little low for an IPA, but not that far off. Your beer will be a little lighter and hoppier, but it will still be beer. On the plus side, if you make the same kit again you'll get a completely different beer ! :)

Umm...we've all done something that sounded right but we just screwed up. For instance, I once put a frozen pizza directly on the rack without a pan because the directions said "put directly on rack".
Anyway, I don't think there is much you can do in this situation except letting it be. It won't have as much alcohol as an average IPA but it will still taste good. I wouldn't risk boiling more DME and adding it at this point.
Is this your first homebrew?

I used to brew ,but I am just getting back into it.

As long as your sanitation and temperatures are up to par, you will be fine and will have a beer to drink soon!

I always put frozen pizzas directly on the rack. Why is that a mistake?

The pizza melted through the rack/grates and onto the oven base. It is very difficult to get burnt cheese out of an oven when it is fused to the metal plate covering the burners.

Maybe my pizza experience was a rarity.

if it makes you feel better, i just made that kit with the only difference being a dry hop at the end. It is fantastic, and like you, i ended up with an og of 1.051. Not sure why, as i made no mistakes that i know of. in any event, the beer is terrific.:rockin:

if it makes you feel better, i just made that kit with the only difference being a dry hop at the end. It is fantastic, and like you, i ended up with an og of 1.051. Not sure why, as i made no mistakes that i know of. in any event, the beer is terrific.:rockin:

Thanks for the comment; the airlock is getting pretty quiet. Transfer to secondary this week. Bottle in another two or three.

Back