Dogfish 90 BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddyfunk

Reaction score
DC Metro - Metro Blows Even Without Catoe
Brewed up a Dogfish 90 clone today based on the BYO recipe. In an attempt to get closer to the "doggy yeast" (which sounds terrible) I blended up some washed 1056 and 1028 London Ale. I also added a good bit of sucrose to help dry it out a little bit. My BIAB method is a little different than most here in that I constantly recirculate the wort through the bag, which normally gives me pretty good efficiency. Unfortunately, today I only managed about 65% which is about what I was expecting considering the grain bill. Here is the recipe for a 3 gallon batch:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Dogfish 90
Brewer: Patrick Walsh
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.80 gal
Boil Size: 5.52 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 125.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 105 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.63 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.30 %
1.13 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 8.86 %
9.90 gm Warrior [15.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
19.84 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
9.92 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
10.50 gm Warrior [15.00 %] (90 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
39.70 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (90 min) Hops 64.5 IBU
12.20 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 30.3 IBU
1.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 7.84 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 11.76 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
1 min Step Add 5.13 gal of water at 127.2 F 122.0 F
45 min Step Add 0.00 gal of water at 149.0 F 149.0 F

Notes:
------

i've done 2 BIAB brews recently. how do your recirculate? i dont have a spigot on my kettle... seems it would be pretty hard without one. i've seen the RIMS BIAB setup but thats not for me. might as well fork over the cash and get a Braumeister.

and when you say constantly recirculating, do you mean during the entire length of the mash or just during mash out?

was very proud when brewing my amber ale last week i held a 154 F mash temp for a solid 75 minutes by wrapping my kettle in 2 sleeping bags.

I have a March pump that I run basically from mash start to stop. This allows me to leave the burner on the stove on while I recirculate, thus allowing me to maintain temps. It takes me about 10 minutes or so to get dialed in but hasn't been much of a hassle and is cheaper than building a RIMS setup. I have a spigot on my kettle that is right underneath my false bottom. Wort is then pumped up to the top of the kettle. Recirculating has helped with my wort clarity and extraction. An alternative method of maintaining temps through a BIAB session is by using your stove, a squat brew kettle, and a pizza stone. Heat up the oven to 180, plop your kettle in, and forget about it. With regard to mashing out, I usually heat up to about 167 while recirculating and try to wash the grains as best I can. With a smaller beer (sub 1.060) I get around 75%, which drops off rapidly above 1.090 or so. This beer is about as big as I like to do.

very intriguing. wort clarity and extraction are the two main reasons why i would like to incorporate some kind of recirculation into my setup. SWMBO doesn't want me to drill holes in my 6 gallon kettle since we use it for shrimp/crab/lobster boils also. might be time for a new (larger) kettle devoted only to brewing... it was only a matter of time before my first DIY brewing project.

Back