Didn't realize how spoiled that I have gotten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnd4

Reaction score
I was at a volunteer luncheon last Sunday and there were hamburgers and free keg beer-probably Miller Light. I had one and thought, "I used to drink this?". I sure drink better stuff of my own now. Those light Pilsners are kind of thin.

In life, there are three states of being; Good, Bad, and Free. Free things automagically get a karmic upgrade to the Good category.

This applies to Pizza, Beer, and a whole host of other commodities.

In life, there are three states of being; Good, Bad, and Free. Free things automagically get a karmic upgrade to the Good category.

I totally disagree. Just because it is free doesn't mean you have to drink it.

I totally disagree. Just because it is free doesn't mean you have to drink it.

Good, then the next tiem you have some bad/free beer send it over to me and it'll be doubly-free. :ban:

I totally disagree, if it's free beer you are offered you drink it and like it........:rockin:

Seriously. I was jokin'. If it's pig-sweat, I would politely refuse. But, for the most part, if I'm at the sort of event where BMC is on tap, it's not the end of the world to have one or twelve.

As much as I hate BMC, if it's free I'll drink it.

I said something many years ago that I still adhere to today:

I'm too old to drink sh***y beer.

Yes, this even applies to free beer. If it's sh***y beer, it's sh***y beer...

I love good beer. But I also have no issues drinking BMC and even the BEAST. If nothing else at least out of respect for the FIL when he hands me one. I'm a Beer Lover, not a Beer Snob.

I don't mind drinking cheap beer when it's free. It gives me the chance to pretend I'm at Talladega Superspeedway wearing bass fishing polarized lenses and a mossy oak or bass pro shop hat.

No, but seriously whenever there's crap beer around you'll find a group of guys sitting around talking about good beer. It gives you a chance to share opinions about craft brews :p

Crappy Free beer is better than no beer!

That was kind of the way I looked at it. Beer is at least beer and not diet soda or worse (If such a thing exists).

I actually have no problem with BMC but prefer anything but...i guess you could say i love all beer

Beer is not a commodity.

A commodity is some good for which there is demand, but which is supplied without qualitative differentiation across a market. It is fungible, i.e. the same no matter who produces it...

gotta agree with you on that one :mug:

I agreed with this at first, but then I thought...Syphallis is free. I don't see people exclaiming, "Sweet! Free Syphallis!!!" This theory needs some slight modification and it will work.

I will drink any beer that is offered to me. I think it's rude to deny a beer because it's not up to your "quality" standards. That's just snobbish. As another person said, I'd take a BMC over soda pretty much any day. I don't understand all the hate on BMC, sometimes you just want a plain old beer.

I don't drink BMC unless a friend offers it to me. I feel snobby about that at times, but to be honest I really just don't enjoy it. However, I'll always put my respect for my above beer preferences so I won't turn down the offer.

Heck, I drank an O'Douls last night. My wife had some in the fridge because she's breastfeeding the kid. I didn't have any beer and felt like something fizzy and cold.

Barley-Pop is it.

You know what? I liked it for what it was.

I usually save my liver and calories for something I actually enjoy drinking. That being said if I am offered a beer by a friend ill take it just to be polite.

I don't drink BMC unless a friend offers it to me. I feel snobby about that at times, but to be honest I really just don't enjoy it. However, I'll always put my respect for my above beer preferences so I won't turn down the offer.
If you honestly don't enjoy it than that's cool. You shouldn't be expected to force one down anymore than your BMC loving friend should have to force down a homebrew because it's "good beer" despite the fact that it tastes horrible in his opinion. But the people that avoid it because it's not "good enough" or it's what "uneducated rednecks" drink are the ones who I'd rather pee on then converse with. I also typically avoid that type of snob in general so i don't have to deal with it them anyway. I prefer a good beer, but a miller lite on a nice day sitting outside, nothing wrong with that at all.

Heck, I drank an O'Douls last night. My wife had some in the fridge because she's breastfeeding the kid. I didn't have any beer and felt like something fizzy and cold.

Barley-Pop is it.

You know what? I liked it for what it was.
I tried an O'Douls once. Blech.

I usually save my liver and calories for something I actually enjoy drinking. That being said if I am offered a beer by a friend ill take it just to be polite.

Word for word that was exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through these posts.

Screw polite. I've had people bring BMC to my gatherings where the sole intent was to play poker and drink my homebrew. Reason: They don't like craft beer, including my homebrew.

Was I offended? Hell no! I want people to drink what they like at my house. I had BMC available, but they either didn't know or forgot, so they brought their own. No problem.

But I'm expected to choke down a coors that I'll hate? I don't think so.

By the way, I'm also not drinking your barley wine, people! I'm pretty sure the only way to get beer to taste like that is to make it in your dirty bathtub:D

If you honestly don't enjoy it than that's cool. You shouldn't be expected to force one down anymore than your BMC loving friend should have to force down a homebrew because it's "good beer" despite the fact that it tastes horrible in his opinion. But the people that avoid it because it's not "good enough" or it's what "uneducated rednecks" drink are the ones who I'd rather pee on then converse with. I also typically avoid that type of snob in general so i don't have to deal with it them anyway. I prefer a good beer, but a miller lite on a nice day sitting outside, nothing wrong with that at all.

Hit the nail on the head right there.

Latest posts

Back