Metallic after taste - will it go away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
So normally my brew spends 3 weeks in the secondary but for one it was an extremely light beer (the Scottish 60 kit from northern brewer) and 2 i needed the space for more brew

So i went ahead and kegged it - after 4 days or so i decided to taste it to see how it was and there is a strong metallic after taste

Will this go away as the brew ages??

Where did this come from?? - I've used this keg several times before and never had a problem

Thanks

was there any extract in a can with this kit ?
that twang I have had before with kits that were a bit older.

I don't know much about northern brewer kits

I hope this helps

I had a metallic taste on a brew once - totally undrinkable. TWANG at the very end of the taste event. It was like sucking on aluminum foil. I looked and looked for a reason and no one here had a valid answer.

I let it sit for 2 months and wrote it off. A friend of mine took a few home and called me up saying "What was the problem?"

I ran downstairs and put a few in the refrig. Next day i tried one . . . . it was gone!!!

My recipe had Maple syrup and I'm thinking the extra sugar??? might have caused it.

Yes - I can STILL taste it way in the background but only because "I" know it was there. No one else notices it.

Cheeto1977 - no not in a can - a plastic bottle like what milk comes in

Grinder12000 - Thanks, i plan to lit it sit and hope it goes away

Once we made a double chocolate stout and my Girlfriend didn't top off the carboy so it was about a gallon short - At first is was completely undrinkable but after about 8 months sitting in the basement friends started telling me it was the best stout they had ever had - but i could never drink it because of the memory of the original taste

I ended up giving most of it away

Back