1st All-Grain Measurements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Hey guys-- I'm doing the CloneBrew Sierra Nevada recipe for my first All-Grain batch. I plan to batch sparge.

Should I get extra grain/hops or anything for my first run? I'm doing a pale ale hoping it'll be a little forgiving but I have no idea what to expect as far as efficiency or anything.

I've already made the order, so if ya'll think I'll be fine, that'd be best. But it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to change it if I need to.

Thanks!

Steve

Normally on your first AG it's a good idea to expect 60-65% efficiency. If you think that's to far below your target OG, then you could always add a couple more pounds of base malt.

ohiobrewtus said:
Normally on your first AG it's a good idea to expect 60-65% efficiency. If you think that's to far below your target OG, then you could always add a couple more pounds of base malt.

I believe the recipe assumes an efficiency of 70%...yikes!

You should be ok, my first ag was a pale ale and I only hit about 65% with a 70% grain bill. I was a little short on the OG, but I still made a yummy beer.

IowaStateFan said:
And if you are a little short on the O.G. you can add a little DME. While not truly "All-Grain" it'll be close enough. Personally, I'd rather do that than come up short.

:off: Is there a formula for figuring how much DME to add if you do come up short?

wildwest450 said:
:off: Is there a formula for figuring how much DME to add if you do come up short?

You'd have to use some sort of software or do the manual math to figure out how much exactly to add.

Just stick to the recipe and what ever it ends up it ends up. Enjoy it... It is beer and you made it..
My 1st AG I hit 78% but my 2nd I hit 66% so what ever. I later figured out that it was the crush. Now I have my own mill and all is good.

I have another thread currently posted asking how to exactly add the extra DME. I received a response on how much. I was told 1 lb. of DME in a 5 gallon batch should give you about a 10 pt. increase in gravity.

My questions was when & how do you make the DME addition since the gravity is read after cooling the wort? It would suck to have to boil the DME separately, wait for it to cool & add it.

Soperbrew said:
I have another thread currently posted asking how to exactly add the extra DME. I received a response on how much. I was told 1 lb. of DME in a 5 gallon batch should give you about a 10 pt. increase in gravity.

My questions was when & how do you make the DME addition since the gravity is read after cooling the wort? It would suck to have to boil the DME separately, wait for it to cool & add it.

If you are worried about it (I don't care much really) you take a sample from the kettle (before the boil) and check the gravity. Knowing the gravity and how many gallons you have you can figure out what your OG will be with X number of gallons boiled off.

You'd want to take a sample of your preboil wort (well mixed) in order to figure your mash/lauter efficiency anyway. Yes, if you're using a hydrometer, cooling the sample in the freezer or icebath would be a good idea to reduce temp conversion errors. That's when you'll know if your gravity has fallen short. BUT!! don't forget to calculate what your boiled off gravity WILL be first. I've heard of people getting a low gravity with 7 gallons of preboil and thinking, CRAP! I missed the target.

Back