propane burner on cedar deck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I couldn't find a post on this, so I'll ask the question.

I am moving my brewing outside, and my favorite outside spot is my cedar deck. Puting a propane burner on the deck in August seems like a really bad idea to me. I have never used a propane burner before.

I'll probably just fire up in the driveway and avoid the fire hazard, but I was curious if I am just being too whimpy. After all, I do bbq on my deck regularly.

Do others brew on their decks?

Thanks.

I brew on my covered deck all the time. Wood gets a little warm under the burner, but I've been brewing out there for years.

A couple things that come to mind that you can do...

* Hose down your deck before and during flame on
* Put steel plate underneath burner

I'd say mitigate the risk and do it in the driveway though.

A couple things that come to mind that you can do...

* Hose down your deck before and during flame on
* Put steel plate underneath burner

I'd say mitigate the risk and do it in the driveway though.

that's a bit overkill IMO. my deck gets warm at best with nothing. If you're worried, you can buy a grill mat.

Yea dude, you won't have an issue, if you boil over you will have a mess though.

I've had days where my driveway started to burn. I don't know what burner you have but do yourself a favor and get a slab under that burner if you love your deck! Why take a chance...

I brewed bareback on a pine porch once. It made the sap run to the top and start smoking, quite a mess.
Since then i put 2 large (@2'x2') clay tiles under the burner, no problems.

Thanks for all the help. I think I will play it safe and brew in the driveway. I have enough to think about on brew day without worrying over my deck.

Cheers.

My burners are sitting on a wooden brew sculpture. They are painted with hi-gloss white paint so if they got hot I would see some scorching. I have had no evidence of heat below the burners but, I had one burner about 1 foot from my vinyl sided wall and warped a couple of panels. I have leaned plywood against the wall between the burners and the vinyl and have had no problems since. I do keep a couple of fire extinguishers nearby. A couple, because they are old although the gauges are still in the green.

Back