Seconary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetusstimulus

Reaction score
If I move a batch into secondary I will end up with about 1/5th of air space at the top! Should I top up with a week must ????

Do you have access to co2? You could pump a few shots of it in your fermenter before reattaching your airlock.

My wife bought one of those Soda Streams a few years back and it rarely gets used. So, I have been using it to pump a few short shots of co2 in my fermenters instead of having to top off with new must.

No access to co2 ... But is there a way to top up otherwise... Will a week must work or even a very small amount of yeast??

Sure, you could top off with a week must. I have even topped off with various juices, both diluted and straight.

Adding more yeast shouldn't be necessary. There will be plenty in your mead already. Just mix honey and water til it matches the SG of your mead and use that to top it off.

Topping up is always a bone of contention.......

People use must, water, brandy or vodka, juice, CO2, sterile glass marbles, a similar mead, wine, etc etc.

They all do the job. They all have plus points as well as a down side....

As far as CO2 goes, if you don't want to buy a soda stream, you can still buy the canisters for about $15.00. Just use a pen or something to hold the tip of the canister down and there you have co2.

Latest posts

Back