Ring around the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reno316

Reaction score
So, brewed a batch a couple weeks ago, and after four weeks in the carboy, my FG numbers stabilized and I bottled.

There's a ring around the inside of the carboy where the beer was, and it's pretty dry and crusted. I soaked in water for a few hours (with a fair dose of liquid dish soap) and scrubbed best I could with my carboy brush...

And the crust is still there.

Any ideas on how to clean it? Soak longer? Get a stiffer brush? Some sort of flexible yet rigid hose adapter I can use to blast it ala a pressure washer stream?

Hate the idea of putting a new batch in a vessel with visible residue, even if I soaked in sanitizer (I use Iodine and water), and hate the idea of throwing a 6.5 gallon carboy in the trash (well, the recycling bin, but you get the idea...)

Thanks.

12856528.jpg

Walmart has a version of this, can't remember what it is called.

One scoop into your carboy, fill with water, let sit for 2 or 3 days, hose out.

For one i would of not used the liquid dish soap, i dont use it on anything that touches beer. (growlers, glasses, carboys, kegs)

If you cant reach it with a rigid brush then let it soak longer with a hot bath.
Sometimes salt works as an abrasive...or oxyclean!

Seems that Oxyclean is the consensus. I'll give it a go.

Thanks, everyone.

For one i would of not used the liquid dish soap, i dont use it on anything that touches beer.
X2
Do not use dish soap. If you can't find the oxyclean, use bleach and let it soak overnight. It will come off.

I never put dish soap in anything I brew with, I got that advice from MrB and followed it from the beginning. But I wash my beer glasses with it... I'm not worried about flavor since it isn't fermenting, like with my brewing equipment, but I've heard it can ruin head retention, right?

So what should I clean beer glasses with? PBW or Oxi? Do you guys do your dishes with that stuff?

Off optic, but I use powdered dish soap in my keg/carboy washer. Never had any issues with head retention, or off flavors.

But in this case I would follow the advice of others and give it a soak with oxyclean.

chemman14 said:
I am not sure why this matters. I have used the standard "versatile" oxyclean forever and never had any negative results.

A friend if mine does, too. He makes award winning beer, but..... I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd like to though so I can buy the big box.

passedpawn said:
This is Walmarts brand. It doesn't say "perfume free", but I believe it is. Anyhoo, I've been using it for a long time and it works great.

There is an unscented version.

A friend if mine does, too. He makes award winning beer, but..... I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd like to though so I can buy the big box.

Don't be afraid. You have to thoroughly rinse it either way. Admittedly I now use PBW as it works better. But every once and a while I will need to strip a bunch of labels off bottles and the versatile does just fine :mug:

Back