Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked 10lbs of kielbasa last night.

ForumRunner_20130329_103111.jpg

I've got a butt going since midnight, everything was holding right at 6. Should be done about an hour after I get home from work today hopefully.

Never tried it before, but I'm going to see how a leg of lamb turns out on my smoker. Going to smoke it lightly with alder. Don't want to over power the lambs flavor with a real powerful smoke.

image-2939566456.jpg

It's 3:14 Easter morning and I have just lit the coals. I am going to smoke two 7 plus lb. butts with hickory and apple. I wonder if my wife thought about how early I would have to get up when she invited everyone for pulled pork sandwhichs?

Two stuffed loins. One with cheddar onion peppers and mushrooms. One with Cajun sausage and a Mexican crumble cheese. Wrapped in bacon weaves and my apple bourbon beans in my cast iron pot only used for these beans

image-1064491733.jpg

Got a dry rubbed 4lb sirloin tip roast in the bbq pit with oak,ash & coals. Tossed on some taters. Italian sausage going on in a couple hours. I've done dry rubbed leg of lamb with ash before in this same pit. Took all day,but it was amazing.

Turkey for easter and Pastrami for sandwiches next week. First time hot going hot and fast on the brisket and it worked quite well. Bird cooked in 2.5 and pastrami cooked in a little over 3 hours.

eastersmoke1.jpg

eastersmoke2.jpg

eastersmoke3.jpg

That pastrami looks bloody good. I'd love to try doing one myself,as I love a good pastrami samich. My sirloin tip roast should finally be about medium rare by now. I'll try & get a pic to post tomorrow.

Prime Rib. Its what's for dinner. Cooked indirect @ 225° ish to an IT of 115, then filled the kettle with more charcoal, and heated to nuclear. Seared for about 5 min. On a personal note, I am damn proud of being able to nail this cook consistently with the Maverick 732 I got recently. The wife and I love bone in rib roasts...

more prime rib prep 7.jpg

I smoked a brisket, two racks of ribs and a mess of beans--I love smoked beans.

ForumRunner_20130331_173437.jpg

Beans fresh from the smoker.

ForumRunner_20130331_173455.jpg

I place the beans under the brisket and ribs to catch all the goodness.

Prime Rib. Its what's for dinner. Cooked indirect @ 225° ish to an IT of 115, then filled the kettle with more charcoal, and heated to nuclear. Seared for about 5 min. On a personal note, I am damn proud of being able to nail this cook consistently with the Maverick 732 I got recently. The wife and I love bone in rib roasts...

Everything except for the cooked carrots looks great. ;)

Toldya that leg o lamb is great in the pit. Mi wife & kids love it. Here's a pic of my sirloin tip roast at a perfect medium rare with Italian sausage & taters.
Tip roast looked like prime rib when cut.
http://
5 hours & 35 minutes to goodness with hardwood chip coals & ash wood.

unionrdr said:
Got a dry rubbed 4lb sirloin tip roast in the bbq pit with oak,ash & coals. Tossed on some taters. Italian sausage going on in a couple hours. I've done dry rubbed leg of lamb with ash before in this same pit. Took all day,but it was amazing.

How do you like the ash smoke? I just recently removed an ash tree from my backyard. Kept the wood for summer fires. Didn't know it was useful for smoking

I did two half pork shoulders (11.5 lbs of pork) on apple wood last week. N. Carolina style rub and mop. Served pulled pork to 12 people with plenty left over for the freezer bags.

How do you like the ash smoke? I just recently removed an ash tree from my backyard. Kept the wood for summer fires. Didn't know it was useful for smoking

Small chunks of ash wood on the coals is nice for a light side of medium smoke flavor. Great for lighter flavored meats,poultry,& seafood. Or when you just don't want a heavy smoke flavor. We have a ash tree by the driveway that has leaves like a cottonwood. But seedpods like an ash?...

unionrdr said:
Small chunks of ash wood on the coals is nice for a light side of medium smoke flavor. Great for lighter flavored meats,poultry,& seafood. Or when you just don't want a heavy smoke flavor. We have a ash tree by the driveway that has leaves like a cottonwood. But seedpods like an ash?...

That's good to know. I see a lot of dinners over the fire this summer

I'm doing a pork butt tomorrow.
2013-04-10131351_zps7360db1c.jpg

Its been dry rubbed for a day already.
Plan on using a mixture of Apple and Hickory.

At midnight, a 10lb pork butt will be put into my smoker for my birthday Hog and Grog bash tomorrow, along with a couple ribs, abts and other smoked goodies! Pics will follow!

Damn! I wish I could find short ribs that nice to smoke!

Ask your butcher/market for full racks. They most likely get them as full racks and then process them down to english cuts, flanken ribs or korean short rib style.

I checked my local Safeway 3-4x before I asked the butcher.. he came out with a gigantic excel cryovac of full racks and asked me how many I wanted.

did a nice sized bbq this weekend for my b-day. Smoked a 10lb pork butt, 2 racks of baby back ribs (memphis style) and some brats:

image-2494879894.jpg

image-2159148548.jpg

image-830701432.jpg

Finally opened up some applewood smoked gouda I did Dec. 22 last year. It was very smokey at first but mellowed out after sitting out for a few hours and tasted great. Got tons of compliments, a few people wanted to buy some off of me. We ended up making late night smoked gouda quesadillas after a bunch of home brew, now that was a great combo.

Finally opened up some applewood smoked gouda I did Dec. 22 last year. It was very smokey at first but mellowed out after sitting out for a few hours and tasted great. Got tons of compliments, a few people wanted to buy some off of me. We ended up making late night smoked gouda quesadillas after a bunch of home brew, now that was a great combo.

Oh my... this sounds very yummy.

Back