2 Non-related newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sak1134

Reaction score
Hello, I'm brand new at home brewing and have two non related questions, one is about brewing and the second keging.

1.The brewing question. I'm using one of those liquid yeast packs with the nutrient pack inside. The directions call for breaking the nutrient pack and letting it sit for three hours. Do to me failing to read the directions before I got started, it's only likely to sit for 90 mins or so before I need to pitch it in the wort, any harm or risk of the yeast not activating? (I'm assuming no).

2. The keging question. I understand the concept behind balancing the keg pressure by using the beer line length to bring down the beer pressure before it hits the tap. My question is does this apply to using a stout set up? Since the point of the high pressure of the beer gas is to push the beer through the stout tap, would the beer line length want to be as short as possible (Or at least would the balancing with line length not apply)?

Thanks - Steve

First welcome to the fold.
On the smack pack you'll be fine, they work similar to a starter in they jump start the yeast.
No stout taps don't need to be balanced as the restrictor plate takes care of foam control, however it will not help in an overcarbed beer. I usually carb my stouts on CO2 for 2-3weeks at 6-8psi. Then hook up to my mix to tap at 30-35psi pressures will be dependent on the serving temperature and how large the head is.

Thanks very much for the quick replies

Beak - I'm planning on doing exactly as you suggested and carbing the stout at 7 PSI on my CO2 system while I wait for the beer gas parts to arrive.

Steve

Back