Aeration Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aa760

Reaction score
Greetings HBT- our local brew club is looking for a talk on oxidation and aeration for an upcoming meeting (2 months out). I am interested in researching this topic for presentation and specifically am thinking a drinkable "experiment" would make this an interesting talk. I was thinking, to get a better feel for proper aeration levels and their effect on finished beer, that I could make a basic ale recipe and break it into separate fermenters: 1: smooth transfer to carboy, no aeration, 2: splashing through funnel into carboy, 3: shaking in carboy, 10 minutes, 4: oxygenation: 20 seconds, 5: oxygenation' 60 seconds. (Both oxygenation iterations would be with pure O2). Thoughts, comments, etc? I am having problem visualizing where I could run fermentation- not enough room in my converted, temperature controlled wine fridge/fermentation chamber. I am thinking I would have this fermentation relegated to the closet, where ambient temp is 70. Ideas on what style beer (yeast) would be a good candidate for this experiment given those restrictions? Infested in input from HBT before I volunteer for this one. It would be my first go at such a conversation with the club, so I would want to get it right.

My main suggestion would be to use a repitch of yeast from another fermentation where limited sterols will be an issue, and definitely don't use dry yeast since most of the manufacturers say no additional aeration is necessary with their products.

My main suggestion would be to use a repitch of yeast from another fermentation where limited sterols will be an issue, and definitely don't use dry yeast since most of the manufacturers say no additional aeration is necessary with their products.

this with a neutral yeast in a SMaSH

AnthonyCB said:

Good idea- I have a stout sitting on some pacman yeast that is due to finish here in about a week- would that be a good candidate for harvesting?

GrogNerd said:
this with a neutral yeast in a SMaSH

Yes, a good point- a simple recipe for sure. I haven't done a smash yet, but this would be a good candidate for such a recipe.

Good idea- I have a stout sitting on some pacman yeast that is due to finish here in about a week- would that be a good candidate for harvesting?

think that most would recommend not brewing a lighter beer with yeast harvested from a darker beer, but you're experimenting, go ahead

because it's advancing scientific knowledge

GrogNerd said:
think that most would recommend not brewing a lighter beer with yeast harvested from a darker beer, but you're experimenting, go ahead

because it's advancing scientific knowledge

I have heard that before, but if I wash it, shouldn't that negate color issues? Other than color transfer from darker wort and grub, are there other issues involved with the whole darker beer yeast to lighter beer yeast!

Nope, just color transfer and possible slight flavor addition from any roasted malts. Flavor would be very slight though.

Do you have a flow meter on your O2 setup? If not that could lead to less control on the Oxygenation side of things if time is meant to be the variable.

Latest posts

Back