Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
I posted a question earlier, but I am not sure I explained myself properly. I brewed my first mead and in 24 hours it started fermenting. The kruesen started reaching the top of my primary, so I took off the cork and inserted a blow-off tube. In the morning, I checked the blow-off tube and I have no activity whatsoever. I wonder if I made a mistake in the process.

Is this normal? Did I mess someting up? Should I:mug: start over?

Anyone have any opinions?

What exactly do you mean by "no activity?"

If there is still visual evidence of fermentation (kraeusen, churnning wort, bubbles on the surface, etc.), then I'd say that maybe you have a leak between the fermenter and the blowoff tube.

It's pretty unlikely that any brew (mead or wine included) would go from kraeusen to nada overnight. Check your seals first, then report with more detailed info if that's not the issue.

oh man...your answer was fine, I am just not sure why it went from first few hours of activity to absolutely nothing overnight. Your reply was fine, I am just not sure why the Kraeusen to no activity overnight.

I will check for leaks....and see what happens....Perhaps I should have started with the blow-off tube and not changes it....

Well, I will keep trying to figure this out.

And thanks again youpper Brew. Your answer was fine.....

Thanks man.

Saxmk6 said:
Thanks man.

Well, mead is strange sometimes. Honey tends to be a slower fermentor, and you need to add some nutrients usually. But not always! And if you add some fruit, it can go nuts. It really depends on so much- from the temperature to the type of yeast used. So, in general what you're seeing might not be "normal" but not out of line either. So, just try to relax, and check the sg in a week or so to see where you're at.

By the way, I'm not a man, though! ;)

did you add yeast nutrient?
yeast energizer?

you should be able to see bubbles coming up the sides of the carboy if its fermenting.

did the fermentor have a temperature change over 10 degrees in 24 hours? this would shock the yeast and if it got too cold, would stunt them.

well, currently I have no bubbling activity whatsoever. I did add yeast nutrients, the temprature did change but not that drastic in 24 hours. It has been no cooler than 70 and no warmer than 76. It has been sitting at 70 really for two days and no activity.

I will have to wait and see, but I suspect there is some type of a problem.

Saxmk6 said:
well, currently I have no bubbling activity whatsoever. I did add yeast nutrients, the temprature did change but not that drastic in 24 hours. It has been no cooler than 70 and no warmer than 76. It has been sitting at 70 really for two days and no activity.

I will have to wait and see, but I suspect there is some type of a problem.

Well, could you take an sg measurement today? That would be the best way to gauge if there really is a problem.

Yeast nutrient AND energizer, or just nutrient? they are NOT the same thing. mead need energizer more than anything as honey has a low FAN level.

The easiest way to do it is to use a wine thief or a sanitized turkey baster to pull out some mead. Put that in the test jar (it's a long cylinder) and then gently drop the hydrometer in it. Make sure there is enough must in there so that the hydrometer floats. Give it a gentle spin to release any bubbles or air under it. Read the level of the fluid at the specific gravity level. Make sure it's not stuck to the sides. You should read it at eye level, so I place it on the counter and bend over. The level of the fluid is where you read it.

If you take a sg today, it'll help us know if fermentation has started and stopped, not started, or even finished. There is an idea in my mind that it has already done most of the fermentation. The only way to know is to check the sg.

Also, please post your complete recipe, so I can guess at the beginning og and then compare the two. I think we'll have this figured out by the end of today!

sorry for the delay. I was gone all day Saturday.

As of this morning, my gravity reading is 1.54. My starting gravity was 1.84 and my finishing gravity is suppose to be 1.008. Apparently it is not finished yet, however I still have no activity.

This is my first mead, so I am not sure of the kreusen activity. For my beer I get a great deal of activity, however after a 12 hour slow activity, I have nothing.

What do you think?

My instinct it to wait two days and check the sg again. If it's moved a little, then no worries. Also, add a little yeast nutrient today.

In two days if it hasn't changed, then it'll be time to make a yeast starter and repitch.

ok..Ill give that a try.

Thanks for the help.

Where in the UP are you? I am in sturgis, which is as far south as you can get before hitting Indiana. I have friends in the Sault.

Back