Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one that bugs me. I'm guilty of saying it too. "'Preciate it" instead of "I appreciate it."

Billy-Klubb said:
Billy the Klubb was a nickname I got in Vegas. my real name is Andrew. I don't mind Andy, but when people call me Drew it fills me with a rage that gives me a headache.

My name is Andrew too. I kind of sensed the awesomeness when you joined.

+1 on the corporate lingo, (out of the military and back to school) college business professors compulsively use this crap. I fear when I'm done, they will have burnt it into my mind, and I too will sound like this. Full of complete **** and toolness

I'll take that over irregardless any day.

Irregardless might be archaic and redundant, but it's a legitimate word.

I don't like overused corporate buzzwords. It's often just a mask for incompetence. When I hear someone who is fluent in "corporate speak" it just sounds like this to me:

"I empower myself by keeping on the bleeding edge of corporate lingo. Leveraging buzzwords is a best practice, and it is one of my core competencies, after all. All my jargon learnings have taken me to the next level, helping me give it 110% and impact the optics of my ego going forward."

Oh, well. I guess it is what it is. :D

Blast fax kudos all around. Go revolutionize some paradigms outside the box.

Did I mention I hate the word "children?" Hate it. I hated it when I was a kid, and I hate it now. I dont even mind "child".... No one says, "vote for me, think of the child." Or, "vote no on *x*, think of the kids!" its always "children." Feh.

Sure, my tax dollars going towards a school budget? Cool. Kids need schools. "A new initiative for our children?"... forget it... its going to be wasteful, someone I cant stand will be championing it, and I'm not going to agree with its message in the first place. This has been true 90+% of the time.

It's the opposite of both archaic and legitimate. It's a recent invention.

From Merriam-Webster

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

It fell out of use and just recently reappeared usually used by the same people that that say aggreeance :drunk:

CreamyGoodness said:
Did I mention I hate the word "children?" Hate it. I hated it when I was a kid, and I hate it now. I dont even mind "child".... No one says, "vote for me, think of the child." Or, "vote no on *x*, think of the kids!" its always "children." Feh.

Sure, my tax dollars going towards a school budget? Cool. Kids need schools. "A new initiative for our children?"... forget it... its going to be wasteful, someone I cant stand will be championing it, and I'm not going to agree with its message in the first place. This has been true 90+% of the time.

Maybe that's because your wife is newly impregnated, and you're shuddering at the responsibilities of being a father.

On a lighter note, my wife and I have friends who's last name is Child. When we have them over for dinner, we get to say "the Children are coming over for dinner". It sounds more correct than "Child's"

I'm unsure why this gets under my skin but when people say, "I need to go to the ATM machine." It is an Automatic Teller Machine. A.T.M. The M means machine already. Bothers me for no good reason to no end.

fluidmechanics said:
I'm unsure why this gets under my skin but when people say, "I need to go to the ATM machine." It is an Automatic Teller Machine. A.T.M. The M means machine already. Bothers me for no good reason to no end.

That's like some that are in the military or dod personnel will agree with. We have CAC's and you will hear people say "have you seen my CAC card?" CAC stands for common access card. The redundant card irritates me.

JoeyChopps said:
That's like some that are in the military or dod personnel will agree with. We have CAC's and you will hear people say "have you seen my CAC card?" CAC stands for common access card. The redundant card irritates me.

I'm on active duty. Probably where my frustration comes from. I have heard people say the CAC thing too.

Irregardless might be archaic and redundant, but it's a legitimate word.

Legitimate is a stretch. It never has been and still isn't accepted standard English.

Congrats on the forthcoming children BTW. Multiples are a handful though, just ask Ace. :mug: :p

Maybe that's because your wife is newly impregnated, and you're shuddering at the responsibilities of being a father.

That's my guess too.

I think Creamy should start a poll thread and let the good members of HBT help decide what his twins are to be named.

The good thing is the endless number of CAC jokes that can be made. "Have you seen my CAC? It's a white CAC. I think I left my CAC in that girl's slot..."

Legitimate is a stretch. It never has been and still isn't accepted standard English.

I agree. The Mirriam-Webster citation even said to use regardless instead. My problem with it is that it's a double negative, so in my mind its meaning should be the opposite of how it's intended.

montoya.jpg

Working in a homebrew store exposes you to many phrases you would prefer not to here. My favorite is from wives AND husbands of brewers who go "Why don't you just buy it and save the effort?" Ha!

CreamyGoodness said:
Im cracking up here. See what you started bomber!? Im not a dad yet all! Im not even expecting.

I know it's a little overwhelming at first. It doesn't really sink in until you're holding the child. I suggest that you maybe look at some bassinets. It really helps.

I'm a baseball fan, and it drives me nuts when people say "RBI's". More than one run batted in would be runs batted in, not run batted ins. The plural of RBI is still just RBI NOT RBI's.

I also cringe when I hear people pluralize sister or brother-in-law by adding an 's' on the end of the word law. Your wife's sisters are your sisters-in-law, NOT your sister-in-laws!!!

n: impact
v: impacting
adj: impacted
adv: impactive (*pukes*)

WTH happened to "affect" and "effect"? Teeth get impacted.

dkwolf said:
The redundancy of 'juice' is what bothers you most in that photo?!?!

This post brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Prevention Department.

Ah yes the Dept. of Redundancy Prevention Department.

Our motto:

"Preventing redundancy before it can occur,
Mitigating repetition,
And intervening before and prior to redundancy happening!"

From Merriam-Webster [...]

It fell out of use and just recently reappeared usually used by the same people that that say aggreeance :drunk:

I don't see anything in there suggesting that it fell out of common use, just that it originated in 1927. Archaic would imply that it was common use at some point, and is no longer so. It sounds to me like irregardless has been in continuous, unfortunate use since the early 1900s.

Certainly it's never been "legitimate" in the sense that the powers that be recognize it as correct. Of course, the meaning of legitimacy is not widely agreed upon.... Still, I don't think this is a case of a once perfectly cromulent word that has been abandoned---it's been dialectical (i.e., "low-brow") since its introduction.

RBI's is actually the correct way to pluralize the abbreviation....

No apostrophe is generally needed there. "RBIs" would be the plural, "RBI's" would be possessive ("the RBI's value in statistical analysis is debated..."). This depends a bit on the style guide, but most agree on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation#Plural_forms

Apostrophes are normally only used when there'd be confusion, such as with a single letter ("how many a's are there in the word?" vs "how many as are there in the word.")

I don't see anything in there suggesting that it fell out of common use, just that it originated in 1927. Archaic would imply that it was common use at some point, and is no longer so. It sounds to me like irregardless has been in continuous, unfortunate use since the early 1900s.

Certainly it's never been "legitimate" in the sense that the powers that be recognize it as correct. Of course, the meaning of legitimacy is not widely agreed upon.... Still, I don't think this is a case of a once perfectly cromulent word that has been abandoned---it's been dialectical (i.e., "low-brow") since its introduction.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I read somewhere that it was an early twentieth century "word" that fell out of use and has made a comeback and has always been "low-brow". I'm too lazy to look it up.

BTW, you can add cromulent to the list...

Back