Tapping a FreshkegRR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd4955a

Reaction score
So I've got a 3 gallon FreshKegRR from a local brewery and I realize I have no idea how to go about tapping it, as the Co2 is in a compartment at the top of the keg and I'm just used to using picnic pumps. Anyone have easy instructions on how to tap so I don't screw anything up? It's a faucet tap with a D system keg coupler, no external regulator or anything. This might be a stupid question, but any help would be appreciated.

It's identical to this set up, except it has a wing coupler instead, the Co2 cartridge is inside the keg itself and there's no need for an external regulator.

http://www.schaeferkegs.com/fresh_keg_rr.php

The instructions on the site say attach keg coupler, then gas, but the coupler has a small pull ring that says "pull before tapping" which makes me question the ordering. I'm just curious if there is a specific procedure for tapping the keg, pulling the ring and connecting the gas line. Sorry, I should've been clearer in my OP.

Never seen one before, but looking at the website it appears that you need a ball lock QD and a pre-set regulator to be able to tap it the way it was intended to be used. The ball lock QD goes on the small post, and the hose coming out of the pre-set regulator goes to the gas port of your coupler.

It's identical to this set up, except it has a wing coupler instead, the Co2 cartridge is inside the keg itself and there's no need for an external regulator.

http://www.schaeferkegs.com/fresh_keg_rr.php

The instructions on the site say attach keg coupler, then gas, but the coupler has a small pull ring that says "pull before tapping" which makes me question the ordering. I'm just curious if there is a specific procedure for tapping the keg, pulling the ring and connecting the gas line. Sorry, I should've been clearer in my OP.

You have the piece I circled in red right? That's the regulator. Connect that to your keg coupler, then connect the coupler to the keg, then connect the gray QD to the keg.

freshkeg_rr_group.jpg

Yup, I've got the regulator, thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure of the ordering so I didn't have beer going everywhere or something. Thanks for the clarification, my new year's guests will appreciate being able to have beer.

Back