Wii U

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
So who's getting one (or even just planning to) this weekend?

I think I'll be getting it on Monday, as I preordered from EB online on the *one* day they were actually taking preorders here, several months ago. Deluxe version.

Looks like a nice system. I'm still unsure about the new "GamePad", but I'm more than willing to give it a shot!

Any must-have games on launch day? I'm a big fan of Nintendo's first-party console titles - Metroid, Mario, Smash Bros, etc, and especially Zelda (though some Mario games, like 64 and Galaxy, are right up there too) - which is why I can never pass on a Nintendo system, but I admittedly haven't kept up with it much lately... possibly because the virtual guarantee that I'll get one (essentially) at launch has made me not have to think about it too much. :D

I think it's a cool technology and would like to play with one, but my experience is that we get the latest system and rarely play games on them. We use the PS3 mainly for watching movies and netflix (cheapest Blu-ray player when we bought it.)

I'll probably pass on it. When I play games now I do it on the computer. My daughter prefers crappy flash games on the PC to the consoles we own.

Homercidal said:
I think it's a cool technology and would like to play with one, but my experience is that we get the latest system and rarely play games on them. We use the PS3 mainly for watching movies and netflix (cheapest Blu-ray player when we bought it.)

I'll probably pass on it. When I play games now I do it on the computer. My daughter prefers crappy flash games on the PC to the consoles we own.

I actually prefer many games on the PC too - shooters, for example, need to be played with a mouse and keyboard in my opinion. And I actually have several PS3s, and mainly use them as media centers too (.avi and .mp4 files, Netflix, and BluRay discs), so we're actually not all that different in those regards!

That being said, I'm sure most people here probably share a sentiment similar to yours, and it's understandable, especially after their last console left many gamers feeling rather ignored by the substandard graphics and online system... the latter of which was particularly unimportant to me as the good Nintendo games are generally all about the single-player experience, and even with the PS3s and an XBox (recent acquisition), I vastly prefer the online experience offered by PC games anyways.

But as I said in the OP, I'm a big fan of various Nintendo first-party franchises. They are consistently among the highest quality, most fun games of any given console generation, and so while I'm mainly a PC gamer at heart, there's only one way I'm going to get to play those games, and it's not something I'm going to willingly miss out on! :D It really is all about their games for me, so I could almost not care less how good their console compares to the competition... the fact that they've supposedly fixed many if not all of the core gamer issues they had with the original Wii, and that it apparently has twice the processing power of a PS3 are just icing on an already delicious cake. :ban:

We usually play Wii games like Just Dance and Guitar Hero. One of my favorites was a car racing game on the PS3.

But I mostly play MMORPGs on the computer, or Shooters. There is no better controller yet than KB/m for shooters.

I'm not much of a gamer. I own a wii and mostly play the basic wii sport and wii play. We also use it to watch netflix and occasionally play some old school nintendo and sega games. It always seemed like nintendo came up with a great idea for a console but failed to execute when it failed to produce the quality of games to compete with xbox and PS2/3 and games to keep people interested in the remote-based games. Maybe it's the cartoonish graphics or lack of capability in the system.

The wii u looks interesting but it doesn't really make sense that they are abandoning the remote concept as an integral part of the system.

We usually play Wii games like Just Dance and Guitar Hero. One of my favorites was a car racing game on the PS3.

But I mostly play MMORPGs on the computer, or Shooters. There is no better controller yet than KB/m for shooters.

I've found that the xbox 360 controller does a great job for FPS games. Far better than what I used to be able to do with the kb/m combo. Plus, I don't need to worry about the games installing something that buggers my system.

I've looked at the other consoles but have yet to find enough games to warrant me getting any of them. For me, there's nothing I'd want to play on the Nintendo system(s). No draw for the PS3 either. Every game I want to play is available for the xbox 360 system.

BTW, I'm not going to be even looking at the Wii U setup.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
The wii u looks interesting but it doesn't really make sense that they are abandoning the remote concept as an integral part of the system.

They're not, really. The wii remotes will still be optimal for many games, and are even meant to be used in an "asymmetrical" multiplayer fashion with one person on the gamepad with one objective and experience, and up to 4 people with wii remotes, with another objective/experience (often working together). I already have a bunch of them, so not having to re-buy them sounds great to me.

There will also be a more conventional controller that kind of resembles an XBox controller. So both the developers and players have the flexibility afforded by three very different control schemes, which I just can't see as a bad thing.

I like threthough of it. The touch screen controllers look pretty sweet. Do you know if we'll be able to transfer games from the Wii to the Wii U?

I have all the Marios, Kirby, Zelda, etc...

TxBrew said:
I like threthough of it. The touch screen controllers look pretty sweet. Do you know if we'll be able to transfer games from the Wii to the Wii U?

I have all the Marios, Kirby, Zelda, etc...

Wii games will work, yes. And from what I understand (though can't say for 100% certain just yet), game saves supposedly can be transferred as well. Not sure which of those two you were asking about.

I haven't even heard of the new Wii.

I use to use my Wii for netflix. Since I finally broke down and bought a modern flat screen smart t.v., I don't even use it for that!\

Back