Pecan Pie Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondzak

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope all is going well. Attached is my first draft of the pecan pie porter recipe. I put it into hopville and the og is 1.065 fg 1.016. 28.5 IBU's 6.5%ABV. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance!

~Aaron

Pecan Pie Porter

Fermentables:

• 6.6 pounds Briess Golden Light LME
• 1 pound Briess Golden light DME
• 1 pound 2 Row Malt
• ½ pound biscuit Malt
• ½ pound Caramel / 120L Malt
• ½ pound Chocolate Malt
• ½ Brown Sugar
• 1 ½ pound Crushed and Roasted Pecans

Hops and Spices

• .5oz Galena Hops (Bittering)
• .5oz Hallertauer (Flavoring)
• .5oz Fuggle (Aroma)
• 1tsp. Vanilla Extract

Miscellaneous
• 1tsp Irish Moss

Yeast
• Nottingham Dry Yeast

Instructions:

1. Steep ½ pound of the pecans with the 2 row, biscuit, caramel, and chocolate malt in 2 ½ gallons of 150 degree water for 1 hour.

2. Sparg the grains with ½ gallon of 150 degree water.

3. Bring to a boil and add the remaining malts and brown sugar. Once the wort returns to a rolling boil add the Galena Hops (bittering) and 1 pound of the crushed pecans.

4. After 40min add the Hallertauer hops (Flavoring) and the irish moss.

5. After 15min add the Fuggle hops (Aroma)

6. After 5min turn off the heat and add the Vanilla.

7. Chill and add the yeast.

8. Primary 7 days and secondary 14days.

There's a local brewery that does a pecan porter, and I think they secondary on the pecans. I'm not sure what boiling them would do, and I imagine steeping wouldn't do much at all. But I would definitely add a good amount of pecans to secondary if I was brewing this.

Hope it turns out well - should be a nice fall beer.

did you ever try this? I was thinking about a pecan pie beer for the winter as well. How much pecan flavor would a pound of crushed pecans give if added to secondary?

Back