Speidel Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsal89

Reaction score
Hello everyone, im new here. Im looking to start homebrewing very shortly and but i have been reading on the speidel fermenters and i want one!...or two...but i cant find them in stock anywhere.

Are they any other fermenters that are like those? Or is there a place where they are in stock?

If the answer was no to any of those above questions then im looking for any 3 gallon fermenter.

Thanks for your time!

Are they any other fermenters that are like those?

Yes, a plastic bucket, airlock, and spigot from you LHBS...at a fraction of the cost. I definitely save your money for other necessary items (chillers, racking cane/autosiphon, etc.).

Good luck!

Also, I'm not sure about 3 gallon buckets, but there are a ton of companies that sell them online. You can also get a 2 gallon white food-grade bucket and lid from Lowes for about $4 for $5. They even have the seal around the lid. You could always two of those if you are doing 3-gallon batches. I tried doing a 2 gallon in one of them, and there was not enough head space. two 1.5 gallon batches would likely be perfect.

I thought the bucket conicals from http://www.onederbrew.com/ looked pretty neat when I saw them at NHC. I use glass though...

TheOriginalOneDerBrew3.png

Does anyone have any opinions on using these for no chill brewing. I guess I'm wondering if the valve is also HDPE so I don't melt it when pouring boiling wort in.

Does anyone have any opinions on using these for no chill brewing. I guess I'm wondering if the valve is also HDPE so I don't melt it when pouring boiling wort in.

I was just searching this very subject, as I use a Speidel and I'm thinking about trying the No Chill method...

Anyone do this? I don't use the spigot... so no worries there for me.

I brewed 7.5 gallons of Kolsch via BIAB and siphoned it into a 60l Speidel last weekend. The wort was probably around 200 when it was racked. I had the cap in the lower opening and not the spigot. Left the fermentor in the garage over night with foil over the bung hole.

The next morning it was around 55 and in went the yeast and on went the airlock. Seems to be behaving normally so far.

I brewed 7.5 gallons of Kolsch via BIAB and siphoned it into a 60l Speidel last weekend. The wort was probably around 200 when it was racked. I had the cap in the lower opening and not the spigot. Left the fermentor in the garage over night with foil over the bung hole.

The next morning it was around 55 and in went the yeast and on went the airlock. Seems to be behaving normally so far.

Thank you very much.

Back