Thoughts on first glass of mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
First I'll go ahead and say that this was very first glass of any mead and it was a commercial version. (Redstone Black Raspberry Melomel) I actually have two seperate gallons of mead brewing in the closet now, but I jumped at the chance to try one when I saw the commerical version. It is dry and lightly carbonated. The honey flavor is definitely there on the back end. I can't stand any wine I have ever tried and even though this does have that smell I still appreciate the flavor. Is Redstone pretty typical? How does it compare to say a JOAM or other common varieties that everyone makes at home?

Still sounds better than the Chaucers I had, it was rough, tasted like a traditional about a week into fermentation, slaps you with almost syrupy honey sweetness up front and finished less than spectacular, very green flavor.

The only commercial mead I ever had was called Dumsday ( with lil dots above the u) my mom got it in England in about 88 and it sat in my moms wine rack till the year I joined the army 09'. It was literally the most delicious thing I've ever drank, even my wife liked it, I don't know what style it was but honeyed cider was it taste and real light in color with no carbonation. I could only dream of recreating it's splendor

The only commercial mead I ever had was called Dumsday ( with lil dots above the u) my mom got it in England in about 88 and it sat in my moms wine rack till the year I joined the army 09'. It was literally the most delicious thing I've ever drank, even my wife liked it, I don't know what style it was but honeyed cider was it taste and real light in color with no carbonation. I could only dream of recreating it's splendor
Well I can't state with any certainty, but all of the one's I found to try here, have been "dessert style" meads i.e. very sweet, almost syrupy. When tested, they had a gravity IRO 1.040 - to my taste that's too sweet. I like mine about 1.015 or thereabouts.

It probably tasted fine, because as you say, it had something like 10 years or so, ageing in the bottle........ (the 2 dot's above the "U" are just a marketing thing. It's a German thing and the accent of 2 dots above the U is known as an Umlaut - it means that the U is pronounced in a certain way - though whether it means that the Umlautted U is then pronounced OO or not, I don't know...... didn't pay attention in the German lessons at school - I'd have to ask one of my second cousins, they've both got German language degree's).

Well I can't state with any certainty, but all of the one's I found to try here, have been "dessert style" meads i.e. very sweet, almost syrupy. When tested, they had a gravity IRO 1.040 - to my taste that's too sweet. I like mine about 1.015 or thereabouts.

I agree, I have yet to find a commercial mead I like.

I am especially not a fan of Redstone. I do find, interestingly enough, that now that I've tried what I would consider a good representative sampling of home created meads that they are far and away less sweet and tastier than Commercial meads (So far I have had Starrlight, Redstone --two varieties, Trybunalski--which was the best of a poor lot and B. Nektkar's Backwood's Cyser).

Is this because the public EXPECTS meads to be cloyingly/overly sweet and Meaderys are just producing to type? I can't imagine the vinters of a Meadery not knowing what "good" mead tastes like.

I would never buy another commercial mead if my life depended on it.

Until last year I had never tried mead, last fall our brewing club was invited to hold our meeting at a new meadery here in Columbus. All I can say is wow! I don't drink much wine but I enjoyed it more than any wine I had ever had.

I am especially not a fan of Redstone. I do find, interestingly enough, that now that I've tried what I would consider a good representative sampling of home created meads that they are far and away less sweet and tastier than Commercial meads (So far I have had Starrlight, Redstone --two varieties, Trybunalski--which was the best of a poor lot and B. Nektkar's Backwood's Cyser).
I tend to agree. The Redstone I got to try was almost bitter.

It wasn't overly sweet at all, a pleasant sweetness to go with a crisp fresh apple taste, I dug the bottle out of my collection, quite a task as I'm a bottle collecting beer snob, just thought id share with you guys a mead that I found simple and amazing and give you a picture so you might be able to find one yourselves. Oh yeah only date on the bottle is 1986, so 20-23 years this puppy bottle aged

image-1420391240.jpg

image-918589066.jpg

Latest posts

Back