Potato Cheese Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishBone

Reaction score
Ive made allot of potato soups in my day and some were quite good. I must say however that the one I made last night was the best I have ever done. I just kinda combined a couple of recipes from the past to come up with this one. Hope you like it. (Note: NOT A DIET DISH) lol

Potato Cheese Soup

Ingredients:
7-8 medium potatos in 1/2 inch cubes
3 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped and slightly saueteed beforre sauteeing veggies.
1 Large onion - chopped small
1/2 Cup red or green bell pepper - chopped small
2 or 3 stalks celery - chopped small
3 carrots - diced
1 pound bacon
2 Tbs. butter (real butter)
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream or half and half (can use all cream or all milk if you like)
pinch of nutmeg
black pepper (dont be shy)
2 tablespoons fresh pasley chopped
10 1/2 ozs. velveta in cubes
3 ozs. sharp cheddar cheese or montery jack

Directions:
Chop raw bacon in small pieces and cook till crisp, set aside. drain a little bacon fat out of the pan for use later if needed.
add butter to the remaining bacon fat and saute onion, pepper, celery, and carrots until soft. add potatos and chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatos or fork tender.
stir in milk, cream and cheese. season with black pepper, nutmeg and salt to taste. (I like a lot of black pepper)
Cover over low heat and until cheese is melted, use wire whisk to stir it up good and break down the potatos a bit and cook over low until its the thickness you like.
serve with some garlic bread and fresh crumbled bacon and chives on top if desired.

Back