Oh $HIT poked a hole is my smack pack!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Ok so being the genius I am I decided the best way to break the nutrient packet was to place the smack pack on the corner of my counter top even though smacking the pack in the palm of my hand has worked the past 10x I've used liquid yeast. Well, you can see where this story is going. I course I punctured a hole in the pack. Anyways a little of the yeast poured out and I've course I go into SOS mode and begin making a yeast starter immediately... Here are a few problems:

1. the yeast was a most *40 when pitched into the 70ish starter. Problem? or just "stunned" yeast?

2. I wiped the outside of the smack pack within a minute with some starsan and placed the pack in a zip lock bag. Chance of infection high, low, or no way to tell?

3. I plan on brewing tomorrow. I'm not really experienced with starters. What would be some good or bad signs that something bad got to the yeast during the process.

Thanks everyone. I know its only 6 bucks but its just the principle!!

Next time just put a piece of sanitized tape over the hole. Make sure it's good adhesive tape. Then just let it come to temp and swell just a bit before pitching your starter. Similar thing happened to me, tape worked, yeast was fine.

Ok so being the genius I am I decided the best way to break the nutrient packet was to place the smack pack on the corner of my counter top even though smacking the pack in the palm of my hand has worked the past 10x I've used liquid yeast. Well, you can see where this story is going. I course I punctured a hole in the pack. Anyways a little of the yeast poured out and I've course I go into SOS mode and begin making a yeast starter immediately... Here are a few problems:

1. the yeast was a most *40 when pitched into the 70ish starter. Problem? or just "stunned" yeast?

2. I wiped the outside of the smack pack within a minute with some starsan and placed the pack in a zip lock bag. Chance of infection high, low, or no way to tell?

3. I plan on brewing tomorrow. I'm not really experienced with starters. What would be some good or bad signs that something bad got to the yeast during the process.

Thanks everyone. I know its only 6 bucks but its just the principle!!

1. The yeast should be waking up with not much issues. In my experience yeast gets stunned when the temps drop suddenly.

2 + 3. Infection? huh? Yeast itself does not get infected, what it is fermenting can. It is basically a race for what eats the sugar faster. Yeast 99% of the time wins. Search for "How to make a starter." A good idea is when you decant, to taste a little of what you decant. If it is infected you should be able to tell. I will say that every starter I have made to date has been just fine.

check out and RDWHAHB: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

thanks for the feedback...

I guess I was worried that the corner might of had some nasties that got punctured into the smack pack. The starter is already showing signs of active fermentation :)

Back