RIMS element Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newrbrewer

Reaction score
I have am looking for some opinions on my RIMS element "situation". I purchased a RIMS tube from Brewers Hardware (NICE!) and I also purchased a 1500W 120W low density element. The company that I got the element from sent me a different element than I ordered. They corrected the mistake and sent me the correct element, so now I need to decide between the two. The elements differ slightly in their specs. One is 7.5" long, folds back and has a density rating of 75w/sq. in. The second element is a little longer at 8.25", does not fold back and has a density of 93w/sq. in. They are both made from incoloy. Here's the rub. I prefer the first one because of the lower density rating but it slightly touches the inside of the RIMS tube in a couple of spots. I have bent it as much as I could and cannot get it completely centered. The other element fits without touching at all. Should I worry about the contact and if so is an increase in watt density of 18w/sq. in. significant? Thanks for the input. :mug:

The jury is out on whether one really needs to worry as much as we brewers do about the watt density of the elements used in our RIMS tubes. I doubt very much that 18 watts/square inches extra is going to make any difference at all.

As long as you keep fluid flowing across the element OR, you have a control system to shut off the element when the temp in the tube exceeds a preset limit, I don't think you have to worry about the watt density.

Conversely, I think if you put an uncontrolled element (regardless of watt density) in a quart of standing wort, it will scorch if you give it enough time.

Ed

Thanks guys. What do you think about the contact in the tube? Is that a complete no no? It just barley touches the inside of the tube in two spots. I am not so much concerned about the element as much as I am as potentially damaging the RIMS tube, if that is possible, this thing is beefy.

IMHO - short answer - the element should not touch the tube. That contact will create problems for you down the road.

The watt density issue should not matter.

Thanks guys. What do you think about the contact in the tube? Is that a complete no no? It just barley touches the inside of the tube in two spots. I am not so much concerned about the element as much as I am as potentially damaging the RIMS tube, if that is possible, this thing is beefy.

I agree with P-J, I would not want the element touching the tube if it were mine.

Ed

Back