What is alcohol content in my fruit juice soda??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duganderson

Reaction score
I make a fruit juice soda from the Cresswell book that is really good. It is made from a gallon of 100% juice Juicy Juice cherry juice (apple juice, pear juice, one other juice and cherry juice). I add approx 4 T. of brown sugar, 1 cup water, 3 t. vanilla extract and 1/4 t. ale yeast. I tend to let it get pretty carbonated.

Several folks have said that it tastes alcoholic. What is the highest percentage of alcohol that you think may be in this soda?

By the way, I'm NOT trying to make it alcoholic since my kids drink it occasionally too.

It really depends on the yeast tolerance to alcohol (I think ale yeast is around 10%), but I can't really say unless you took a gravity reading to begin with.

Hard to say exactly without original and final gravity readings, but with the 4tsp of sugar I'd guess it would be noticible depending on how long you aged it. Without force carbonation, I don't think there is a way to avoid at least a tiny bit of alcohol in homemade soda like that.

How do you take gravity readings?

What do you think is the max alcohol content after a couple weeks in the fridge?

I use Coopers Ale Yeast. Is their another good yeast for Soda that would produce a lower % of alcohol?

Would using less yeast reduce alcholol content? I know it would take a little longer to carbonate?

Less yeast wouldn't effect alcohol content.

If you want it alcohol free why not just buy a kegging setup? There is a lot of sugar in there and if it were to ferment out completely it could be fairly alcoholic.

Back