Irish Stouts...before the Widget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seneca

Reaction score
I plan on making an irish stout in the next few weeks and I have been looking long and hard for anything I can do to help achieve the creamy mouthfeel one would get from drinking an irish stout on tap or with a widget. Obviously, nothing I do will be quite the same as a stout served with nitrogen, but is there anything I can do to make it look and taste more like it was? I looked online at a number of different articles and found some weird methods. One was inserting a electric toothbrush in the beer. I also read that before guinness was served with the widget a case actually came with some sort of needle that you would use to extract a few ounces of beer from your glass and squirt it back in to help mimick the feel of guinness on tap. Im not sure if that is true or not since the widget was used since long before my drinking days. In any case, Im looking to see if there is any method used by homebrewers (that do not have a kegging system) to help make a stout feel/taste more like a stout on tap.

I think the needle is like a multi-ported turkey baster.

You could use some oats to add the body and mouthfeel but, nothing is like Nitro IMO. Others will get close but still just miss the mark.

Ha. A toothbrush. Why not. Does it have to be a Sonicare or will an Oral B suffice?

My Extra Stout is pretty smooth. It have a fair amount of Flaked Barley, Flaked Oats, and Flaked Wheat, which is supposed to help with that. You can see it in my recipe dropdown.

That's all I got.

Nothin i can think of thats not mentioned.... makes you really consider nitro and a stout faucet, ive been debating them for a while now:D

Back