Crap I messed up... help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Ok, I orderd a killians clone recepie off of Austin Homebrew, and didn't even think about it being a lager. I dont have the equipment to do a cold fermentation (at least not that cold.) With the recipie, it says that you can do a room temp fermentation. Anyone ever done this? or what alternatives do I have?

thanks

If it says you can ferment at room temp, it's probably not lager yeast. If it's not, you're golden. If it is, get some ale yeast from your LHBS

Actually, the real Killian's is a lager. I think they call it an ale on the label, but it's made with lager yeast.

So buy some WLP810 or Wyeast 2112 and brew it as a common. Keep the temperature as low as you reasonably can.

well, as it turns out, my roomates rock. They said that i could have some space in the fridge. I am still unfamiliar with lagers... can someone give me a rundown of the fermentation steps with a lager?

From what I understand it's the same as Ale but just at a lower temp. Someone more experience can tell you for sure.

aekdbbop said:
well, as it turns out, my roomates rock. They said that i could have some space in the fridge. I am still unfamiliar with lagers... can someone give me a rundown of the fermentation steps with a lager?

You will need that space for several weeks, so hopefully that's not a problem. One week for primary fermentation (50-55 deg) then let it sit at room temp for two days for a diacetyl rest, then back into the fridge for up to a month (45-50 deg). Then bottle, then right back to the fridge (35-40 deg).

If you're thinking of just using the same fridge as is used for leftovers and veggies and stuff that will be too cold for the primary fermentation.

Lagers are a bit more difficult but may you have the best of luck!

haha.. yeah ill have to watch them... i raised the temp in our main fridge.. its about 53 or 54 degres. Before i raised it, it was at like 46 i think. Im just going to move it down after the first 2 weeks.

Heck we are poor college students, there is no food in there.. just beer anyway.. haha

Back