Mini-Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
Hey all. Im doing some shopping on Austin Home Brew and decided to go with the Hobgoblin Clone Kit. I want to do this as an Extract Recipe which Austin says requires a Mini-Mash. Im not really sure what this is. It says I would need additional steeping as well. Not to sure what that is either. Would I need any additional equipment to pull off the mini-mash? Since this will be only my fourth batch, am I a little in over my head on this one?
Heres the link to the page if you would like the specifics.

Austin Homebrew Supply

thanks for the help.

You don't have to do that mini-mash. See "kit option." That being said, mini-mash isn't too hard, and their method just requires a large grain bag and a thermometer I think. Other mini mash methods use a cooler or extra ale pail, a false bottom, etc. But you don't need that.

Just buy the extract kit, and all you'll have to do is steep grains as always. That said, mini-mashing is a fun upgrade that isn't particularly difficult and doesn't require any expensive additional equipment (maybe $15 worth for a grain bag and a small 2-gallon cooler), and can help you make better beer. Do a search for mini-mash or partial mash, and you'll find plenty of threads that explain what the difference is.

The AHS PM kits don't require a cooler. All you need is a grainbag large enough to fit in your pot and silp over the rim. I assume you have thermometer... Anyway, it's way easy and the directions from AHS are pretty idiot proof.... Go for it...it's really easy.

I was gonna ask the same type question. I brewed a True Brew Red Ale kit for my first brew. I steeped specialty grains in a muslin bag before I got the water boiling. Is this mini mashing?:confused:

I was gonna ask the same type question. I brewed a True Brew Red Ale kit for my first brew. I steeped specialty grains in a muslin bag before I got the water boiling. Is this mini mashing?:confused:

No, it is not.

Back