Bulk Priming with Cooper's Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrood

Reaction score
I am just starting my second batch, a Kolsh kit from the LHBS. The owner strongly recommends bulk priming with DME vs the Cooper's carbonation drops. Since the Cooper's fermenter is so convenient for bottling (built-in tap) is it possible for me to bulk prime without buying a separate bottling bucket and siphon? Thanks
-Paul

IMHO the reason for the spigot on the cooper fermenter is because they do want you to use their "Drops". It seams that i have read that priming with dme gives off smaller bubbles in the finished beer. it would seem that to bulk prime you would need to boil up your primer and then "rack" the fermented beer into the priming mix and from that point into your bottles. you may need to try a different style of fermenter and use your cooper fermenter for bottleing. but i am not an expert by any means!

I've thought about that idea too, but that would involve buying another fermenter, which the cheap bastard in me won't let me do quite yet. I suppose its most cost effective to buy the bottling bucket and siphon for ~$25. Would I be crazy to prepare the primer, add it to the beer in the primary fermenter, then bottle directly out of the tap?

Maybe make up primer and then rack a portion of the beer into pan and then rack back into fermenter? sounds to me like it should work. Maybe a Mod or someone else with a lil more expeirence could chime in. dont tell anyone but i have missed my OG and poured Dex straight into wort in primary, its not ready yet but i will post when it is. Of course this is not an aceptable practice but what are you gonna do? its a learning process....LOL

Priming in your fermentor, even if its a coopers fermentor, would mean you'd have to stir in the priming sugar (whatever form you use). And that stirring could very well mess with the beer leaving things a bit cloudy. I almost tried it myself once but then just went ahead and picked up a bottling bucket...definitely glad I did.

Very good point, I wouldn't want to stir up all the sediment at the bottom of the fermenter. So how can I avoid mixing up all the sediment when pouring the beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket?

Very true, I think I just might have to. I brewed last night after my starter wort for the liquid yeast was ready...got a good seal on the fermenter this time, and the airlock was bubbling within an hour. So far so good:D

Back