Cleaning kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I kicked 2 kegs on NYE... my first 2! whats the standard for cleaning? hose them out then put them away? or do i need ot make sure I run san through the out nozzle?

Thanks!

I disassemble the out post, removed the beverage tube and then clean everything with my hot soapy/bleachy water. Give everything a good 135 degree rinse and then reassemble and store upside down with the lid sitting on top.

I usually make a habit of giving the corny a quick cold rinse just before filling to wash out any dust that might have found its way in there.

I never take off the gas post...just give it a good cleaning and hot rinse.

Empty_Cornies.jpg

I disassemble and clean (soak everything in PBW) each time, a lot of people don't.

You can also either put them away sanitized (I would cover the top with foil or a shower cap or whatever) or put them away clean and sanitize right before use.

At the very minimum you should run sanitizer through the gas and beer side if you are sanitizing.

I just rinse everything out with water and then fill with a mixture of Idophor and water until I'm ready to use again. Seems to work fine for the few I've done it with

I just did this last night for the first time. I got a rebuild kit and took it apart piece by piece. 7/8 open ended wrench gets the posts off, then you take both the tubes out. There is an o-ring on each tube just under the lip that comes in the kit, slide off and slide on. Then there is an oring for each post, mine were pretty easy to get off since they were old and one was split anyway. Hardest part was figuring out how to get the poppet valves out. Trick is to hit the top of it with a screwdriver and it just falls out the bottom. My kit cam with two brand new ones that just go back in and with some pressure on the bottom they just reseat. Not sure what really hold them in there but they seem to stay if you push hard enough. Put it all back together and tested it, holds gas great now as opposed to the massive leak I had with the broken oring. Hope that helps, also search you tube I think there are some videos out there on cleaning the kegs the proper way even though it may be a little overkill sometimes.

I fully dissasemble them everytime - gas and liquid sides, clean all with hot water and star san, then assemble them, put the top on and keep them sealed with a little CO2. Then they are ready to use for each batch.

I fully dissasemble them everytime - gas and liquid sides, clean all with hot water and star san, then assemble them, put the top on and keep them sealed with a little CO2. Then they are ready to use for each batch.

I usually rinse mine with some Oxy, than run in through the line. I agree with keeping them under CO2, you won't have to purge the keg when ready to fill.

I just rinse everything out with water and then fill with a mixture of Idophor and water until I'm ready to use again. Seems to work fine for the few I've done it with

I do the same and haven't had any issues. Granted I thus far only have one keg so when I finish the last batch in there a new one goes in within an hour of opening.

I think after 3-4 batches in there I'll tear it apart.

About every 3rd keg I pull apart everything and clean w/ a brush. All the other times I do a quick soak in Oxyclean, run the oxyclean through the out side, rinse well.
I made a connector/hose that goes on my sink, it connects to the out side on the keg and I can fill w/ HOT water through it and as its filling it's building pressure in the keg because I leave the lid on. I then disconnect the hose and drain through the same out side using the pressure I built in the keg while filling. Works killer! I don’t use any CO2 and I get to run everything under pressure. I then put about 1/2 gallon of star-san/water and leave it in there till I am ready to use. When ready push the sanitizer through the out side w/ CO2 and your good to go. It purges the keg of oxygen at the same time so you fill in over a CO2 blanket.
Cheers
JJ

I do this as well. When I'm filling it with water I will take a screwdriver and press down on the valves so water is going through them as well.

Use a hose to knock any sediment out of the bottom.

Latest posts

Back