Help me with my weird poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Reaction score
i need help identifying this poppet, and some advice on where to buy them.
pay careful attention to the top thickness and the feet, i have yet to find a perfect match. the second pic is the closest one that i can find. one more question i have is can i change my posts out to ones that use less obscure poppets? i have pin lock kegs btw.
thanks in advance:mug:

DSCN0665.jpg

poppet.jpg

Are you sure that the 1st poppet pictured is the original one that came with the keg? It's quite possible that the previous owner installed the wrong poppet. Heck it could be a replacement post. I'm not a pin lock guy but if you can read the manufactures name off the keg it will help ID that guy.

keg says property of coca cola r119842 A-P-C WAUKESHA,WIS. it also fergus falls minn. my other keg has the same poppets and has no identifiable marks on it. to answer your question no i am not sure they were original, they were a cl purchase. they do lock in like they belong in the post

So the one keg was manufactured by Alloy products Corp. Maybe one of the "pin lock" guys will chime in here and help you out. Why do you want to replace the poppet.. is it because it doesn't seal? It might be the wrong one.

it does not look like it but the o ring is bad on 3 out 4 of them.
do you know if i can just buy a new post that uses a different poppet type, my posts are beat up so i would not mind changing them.

Posts are expensive. But can be replaced. The thread size is what's important. Just for a quick check can you remove the posts and swap the one from the gas in, to the liquid out on each keg and then from one keg to the other? You will need to return the post to the original positions so keep track of them while checking thread size and don't force any post on.

That's a huge plus. What I would do is start a new thread if you don't hear soon from the pin lock crowd. Maybe something like "I need help with pin lock posts" You have enough info to post a good question. 1) you know one of the manufactures of the keg 2) all post have the same threads. I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace the posts. Sometimes if you just "flick" the top of the poppet with your fingernail it will seal.

Seems to me I've seen them before on Some of the Pinlocks we used to get....Many Moons(too many) ago in my highschool fast food job.

Both posts should both be 9/16"-18 on those kegs, but I don't see any reason to replace the post fittings. The "universal" poppets should actually work very well in those post fittings, unlike many people who need to trim the spring to get them to fit properly.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/universal-poppet-valve.html

I'm pretty sure the #4 type from chicompany would also fit your post fittings, even though in some ways the #5 looks closer to the ones you have now. The important things to look at are the height, width at the feet, and the shape of the head, not necessarily the shape of the feet or thickness of the rubber portion.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16

Latest posts

Back