star san in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
Can I leave a keg full of water and star san until ready to fill in a couple of weeks?

It will not harm the keg at all. This is how I store my unused kegs, then they are ready to go when I want to fill them.

yep wont hurt at all if mixed properly /w water. straight star san solution on the other hand might do some damage, idk.

Yes it will work fine, but if you have hard water like I do the star San causes the minerals to precipitate and you end up with a weird film on the inside of the keg that needs a pbw rinse to remove. If storing for more than a week I use distilled water.

I have been storing my kegs with the remains of the Star San. Using the properly diluted solution to half of the keg, I shake it around for a while, and then dump them and leave the small amount of it in the bottom....

Is it better to fill them to the top with the Star San solution and store them that way?

I have moderate Detroit city water. I just got my kegs last week and filled my first two yesterday. My third will be in 2 weeks when my next batch is ready. I'll just leave it covered and filled with sanitizer until then. Thanks. Better than bottles so far.

Latest posts

Back