Hydrometer Samples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I typically only check the gravity prior to fermentation, before racking to the secondary and then before bottling. I see where others will continue to take samples and check the gravity during fermentation.

How do you take these samples easily without contaminating the beer???

A wine thief or a turkey baster both work well. Sanitize them first. I suck up a little beer, drain, then suck up the actual sample undiluted by sanitizer. The sample does not get returned to the main batch. I usually drink it.

I use a sanitized turkey baster and hydrometer combo before pitching yeast in the low 60s (F) then once again before bottling, usually 3-4 weeks later. Sometimes I'll take a sample mid-way. But I find that after hundreds of brews, my FG is usually on point at 3-4 weeks anyway. The side benefit is further conditioning and cleaning up of any off flavors that were initially expelled by the yeast.

I usually re-incorporate the 1st sample back into the main volume (pre-ferm), then drink the 2nd and 3rd samples to see how the flavor is developing. Never had an infection due to improper sanitiation.

Yep, wine thief and I drink all samples (except pre-fermentation, yuck). And I sample almost every couple days sometimes hehe

Back