Liquid bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a thick chewy 6% alcohol beer that captures all the breadiness of beer.

I'm thinking
Marris Otter 50%
Bisquit 25%
Malted wheat 12.5%
Malted rye 12.5%

Mash for 30 minutes at 160. Hoping to create lots of unfermentables, and wanting some starch still.

Pitch WLP099 It's supposedly very bready at low ABV.

Think it will work? Will I be close to the flavor profile I want?

I'm looking to make a thick chewy 6% alcohol beer that captures all the breadiness of beer.

I'm thinking
Marris Otter 50%
Bisquit 25%
Malted wheat 12.5%
Malted rye 12.5%

Mash for 30 minutes at 160. Hoping to create lots of unfermentables, and wanting some starch still.

Pitch WLP099 It's supposedly very bready at low ABV.

Think it will work? Will I be close to the flavor profile I want?

I don't think that's a very good recipe. It's way too much biscuit malt, and while I like rye in a beer, it's not like "liquid bread" at all. Rye gives a great "spicy" flavor, though. I'd go with no more than 10% biscuit malt, and that's only if you really like the very dry biscuit flavor it brings. It's not 'bready' at all, but instead very dry feeling in the finish.

You'd have to mash for a bit longer, just to ensure conversion and I'd drop to 158 degrees at the highest.

You said you want a "bready" beer, but not much else that you're looking for so I'm not sure how to help out. Do you have any more descriptors?

Are you looking for a beer that is bready the whole way through? If so that might be quite hard to do. The best way to get what your looking for is with Victory or Biscuit malt at about 8%-10%. You can also affect the mouthfeel with some flaked Oat or wheat.

Next thing I would try is to find a decent yeast that doesn't put off to many fruit or strong esters. The WLP099 seems fine but you could try WYeast British Ale or equivalent.

Definitely Mash for atl east 60 mins to make sure you have decent conversion. Keep in mind that the lower you mash the drier it will come out. I'd prob mash this beer at 156.

I just brewed an AG Biscuit Brown ale. Attached is how I accomplished a nice biscuity taste.

Good Luck :mug:

View attachment “Brown Eye Biscut Ale ”.pdf

I want a beer that captures the taste of fresh baked bread. With a thick, chewy mouthfeel. I don't care about clarity in this one, and think it might be better hazy. My uneducated guess is that unconverted stach as well as unfermentable sugars would give me that mouthfeel.

When I think of bread flavors it's the nuttiness and earthy flavors. The smooth mouthfeel (like velvet, instead of silk) that coats your tongue. It has a long lingering sweetness that was never powerfully sweet. Almost an oiliness to the mouthfeel and flavor both, not greasy like butter, but with a coating ability

Marris Otter, Munich and/or Vienna for malt/breadiness, Flaked Oats for smooth, oily mouthfeel. Perhaps Crystal 60L for sweetness. Mash at higher temperatures, 154-156 degrees or above, to produce more unfermentables. Caramelize your wort during the boil.

I always think of a dopplebock as "liquid bread", due to the monks fasting and consuming it during their fasts. When I think of liquid bread, that's the grainbill I think of. Not biscuit malt or other "dry" type of malts.

The monks' liquid bread recipes were high-calorie, low abv beers they drank as a loophole to their fasting rules. If you want 6%, that's fine--I assume you are not a monk--but they had beers around half that so they could drink all day without getting drunk. I think WLP099 will eat its way through too much of the sugars to give the bready feel you want. I would mash exactly like you suggested in your first post, and use the lowest-attenuating yeast you can find to leave behind as much body as possible. Alt, Kolsch and Scottish yeasts are good bets, or you could even try a wine yeast that doesn't eat maltotriose.

Back