Need help with keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
Installed a ball valve too high, it leaves about a gallon in the boil kettle, then I have to tilt, then it gets clogged with hops, so I installed a bazooka tube, which helps, but what other options do I have? Install another ball valve and have 2? Would a screen work at the bottom? I don't want to weld

yep you need a dip tube inside and then connect tubing on the ball valve that drops below the inside level of the kettle, this will create a siphon to empty the pot to the level of the dip tube

bucfanmike said:
yep you need a dip tube inside and then connect tubing on the ball valve that drops below the inside level of the kettle, this will create a siphon to empty the pot to the level of the dip tube

So if I have the dip tube goes to the bottom it will still empty the keg completely even though it's below the ball valve? Also since my ball valve is higher, are the dip tubes that come with false bottoms adjustable...since my ball valve is higher off the bottom than normal, or will I have to fabricate something myself?

I have a keggle with a ball valve and a pickup tube, and it gets everything. I've never had my valve/tube clog when using pellet hops, but it will with whole leaf hops. If you use whole leaf hops, best to put them in a muslin bag or even a 1 gallon paint strainer bag to keep them separate from the final wort.

So if I have the dip tube goes to the bottom it will still empty the keg completely even though it's below the ball valve? Also since my ball valve is higher, are the dip tubes that come with false bottoms adjustable...since my ball valve is higher off the bottom than normal, or will I have to fabricate something myself?

with the proper dimensions, most of the vendors here that make dip tubes will fabricate one to your dimensions. I would only go that route if you insist on using stainless. If copper is good enough for you, its easy to build it yourself as copper is much easier to bend. Use 1/2" soft copper, places like ace hardware sell it by the foot. Get a 1/2" npt to compression fitting to connect the copper to your bulkhead. If you are using a false bottom and dont want to bend the copper you can always add a 90 degree compression fitting to join the copper coming from the bulkhead to the copper that would go through the false bottom. I did my mashtun this way, the extra fitting holds the false bottom from lifting up.

Back