Another 'fermentation stopped brewing' question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzeith

Reaction score
:confused:

We're making the NB Saison kit (extract) with an additional pound of DME and an additional pound of corn sugar (to raise gravity). OG was 1.072 and we pitched 2 packets of Wyeast Belgian Saison yeast (smack packs).

On around the 8th day of primary, I took a reading and it was at 1.040, which is where it still is today on the 11th day.

I'm doing the one thing I know I shouldn't do and panicking, does anyone have any advice? I've read other posts that suggested swirling the fermenter to get the yeast to resuspend, will that work? Should I repitch?

Also, I should note that the room temp was higher than usual due to summer, and it lingered around 73-75 degrees F.

Any suggestions are greatly appreaciated!

73-75°F is like the bottom of the suggested fermentation temperature range for the Wyeast Belgian Saison blend. And the behavior you're seeing seems prototypical for this yeast.

"This strain is the classic farmhouse ale yeast. A traditional yeast that is spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures at least 90°F (32°C) or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 76-80%
Temperature Range: 70-95F, 21-35C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

Styles:
Saison"

I'd say it's time to pour a beer and relax...

Cheers! :)

Wow thank you for the replies! My fiance is my brew partner (she's a serious beer gal) and she brought home the kit. I never bothered to look at the brew time on this and I'm guessing she didn't. The standard 'recipe' from NB says 2 months--looks like it's definitely time to have a homebrew. Thanks guys!

It's been another 5 days and it's been sitting at around 74 degrees--gravity hasn't decreased much. It's at 1.039 (rather than maybe 1.041). I stirred some of the sediment (slowly) off of the bottom then moved the bucket to the garage where it's sitting right at 89-90 degrees. Is this too hot for the saison yeast? Is there a max temp on this?

Any thoughts brew brothers and sisters? It's been 18 days in primary so far.

I checked it again yesterday, which was four days after moving it outside. Gravity was at 1.022 making me feel much, much better. I'm hoping it gets down to FG soon because I'm headed out of town for 10 days next weekend and I need to rack to secondary before then.

Thanks for all the tips/reality checks!

I'm hoping it gets down to FG soon because I'm headed out of town for 10 days next weekend and I need to rack to secondary before then.

Why? I'd just leave it in primary! No reason to rush it off the yeast esp. with this one.

Well, I leave for my honeymoon on Sunday (7/22) and don't get back until 7/30--do you think it'll be OK in the ale pale that long? This thing was brewed on 6/23, so it will have been in the primary bucket for 5 weeks by the time we return.

It was at 1.021 today. I think it's sitting in about 90-92 degree temps.

i am fermenting with that yeast right now and i like to keep it at the lower end of it's range, it's slow but it will finish out. if you are going away for 10 days that's a perfect opportunity to leave it in the primary and let the yeast finish out the beer. forget the secondary where you would take the beer off the yeast, they need each other right now. i would take it out of the hot garage.

Wy3724 needs a pretty huge starter in my experience. As in take what volume MrMalty calculator suggests, and multiply that by 1.5-2.

Update: I racked it to secondary on Sunday and it was sitting at 1.012, which we were pleased with. Here's the timeline recap if you're interested:

• Brewed June 30. OG 1.072.
  • Sat at 73-75F for 16 days. Gravity at 1.039.
  • Moved to Garage. Sat at 90-94F for 18 days. Gravity at 1.022.
  • Moved back inside. Sat at 73-75F for 7 days. Racked to Secondary. Gravity at 1.012.

This was definitely a lesson in patience, and had we realized it would take this long we'd have brewed it sooner. It's sitting next to a Pumpkin Ale which seems a little silly, but it should still be warm out by the time it's ready for drinking. I'll post an update when I'm finally able to pop one open!

Back