Awesome Dog Tricks - What have you trained your best friend to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin30R

Reaction score
So I've got a puppy (just shy of 14 weeks right now), and he is awesome. He's smart, and funny ... seems to pick things up really quickly. I'm trying to think of some hilarious tricks to teach him (I really want him to play dead when I say "bang!" for instance), but haven't started on anything yet.

What have you taught your dog to do?

My friend's german retriever before she passed used to wear a bottle opener around her neck and could grab a beer from the fridge for you (though she couldnt open the door, which made it not the BEST trick).

My Cheyenne was a loveable twit though... only trick he learned was "Cheyenne, take up space!"

My daughter's lab has been taught to crawl on her tummy. Those dogs will learn anything for a treat!

Her other trick is to nonchalantly pet herself against your foot when you are sitting on the couch. She slowly presses against your foot more and more until you yell at her to knock it off.

She is also good at "sad eyes"...

My 12 year old springer spaniel Maggie can shake with both arms, roll over, lay down, get "shot" with a finger and play dead, she used to jump through a hula hoop for a treat but shes kinda old for that now. She also will let you put a treat on her nose and wait for a command to eat it.

Check out zakgeorge21 on YouTube. He's an amazing dog trainer that posts really informative videos. His videos have helped me teach my year old acd a ton of amazing tricks including play dead!

My buddy Pablo's favorite trick at parties is to give people knuckles. I started off by teaching him to shake, then eventually just started to stop his paw about halfway up (so it kind of hinges down at the joint) and giving him a different command. Now he only holds his paw about halfway up so you can dap it and he'll put it down. No more shaking for him.

I also talk to him like I do my other friends. He doesn'y 'lay down' he chills out or if I am eating I tell him to scram and he'll head out to another room. It's awesome to hear my dad talk to my dog when my wife and I visit. A 60 year old man telling a dog to chill is pretty hilarious.

I'm working on teaching my lab how to retrieve beer from the fridge. Tie a rag around the handle of the fridge, put a treat inside, and he learned how to open the fridge in about 5 minutes. Bottles are a bit harder :p

Oh yea and he rummages through the fridge now on his own until we finally took the rag off. Didn't exactly think that part out...

Both of ours can do the norm (roll over, play dead, beg, etc)

We've also taught them "beep beep" which means you're in the way and need to move. Spin where they basically chase their tail once. Weave = making a figure 8 through our legs. Over is jump over what is in front of you, under is the opposite. And around is one of the most useful. If they get tied up around a tree, I tell them around and they follow the leash back to me. Other basics that I don't see many people use that we use every day is either "go to bed" and they go to their crates and "go to your blanket" where they go to pad on the floor (really nice for answering the door without dealing with them at our heels...oh yeah and heel).

I'm working on teaching my lab how to retrieve beer from the fridge. Tie a rag around the handle of the fridge, put a treat inside, and he learned how to open the fridge in about 5 minutes. Bottles are a bit harder :p

Oh yea and he rummages through the fridge now on his own until we finally took the rag off. Didn't exactly think that part out...

Thats why you need a dedicated beer fridge! Only one thing he can retrieve!

My dog is dumb as a rock. He's a 100+ lb Mastiff. His one trick is disobdience. He was a rescue dog, so I give him some slack.

He'll sit, but only if there's a piece of cheese involved.

When you call him, he stares at you like a mental patient. When you go over to get him, he lies on the ground and goes completely limp so you have to drag him accross the ground to get him in the house.

He'll eat any type of paper product including paper towels, paper towel rolls, toilet paper, toilet paper rolls, dryer sheets, and occasionally the mail.

He is a nice dog though.

My cat on the other hand will rear up on his back legs like a small pony on command. Go figure!

Back