First mead in 8 years!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
Just pitched the yeast.

15lbs of clover honey from Sam's Club. Brought about 1.5 gallons of tap water to a boil, pulled from heat. began adding room temp. honey until it was all dissolved well.
about 3 gallons worth of grocery store RO/DI water was then added to get about 5gal in the carboy.

Its only a 5.5gal carboy...lets hope it doesn't blow!

I'll be keeping a mid-60's temperature during primary, which should take about a month. Either way I'm racking in 1 month.

Yeast used: Saf-ale S-33. the old Edme ale yeast, my favorite. I'll leave a nice sweetness in the mead, and is pretty clean especially if you can keep cooler temps.

OG: 1.124 (at 80F)

:rockin:

hard to say really. this is the first time i made a mead where I didn't boil the honey, and I'm not a real fan of adding gelatin or polyclear to anything...so its gonna take a while to get clear.
I might add isinglass in the secondary though. I'm pondering secondary in two smaller vessels, and flavoring this two different ways...one spiced with cinnamon and a hint of clove, the other with vanilla beans.

probably a month in primary, and a month in secondary. if its clear by then it'll go to bottle...otherwise I'll give it a tertiary for another month and might consider gelatin since it is at least a natural product (and not plastic dust).

Back