Hop schedule advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
So I'm brewing an ipa this weekend and I'm not dead set on a certain hop schedule. Let's play around with this a bit!

5 gallon batch

10# 2 row
1# Munich
1/2# crystal 40

I wanna use 4 oz of hops in the boil and 1 oz of hops for dry hopping, for 5oz total (cost reasons).

These are the hops I would like to use

Amarillo
Centennial
Columbus
Falconer's flight

I wanna see what you guys think is the best way to utilize these strains to get the best bitterness/flavor/aroma in an ipa!

Hi, I'll take a stab. I love to brew, but I'm -uh- financially challenged. I recently made an India Black Ale. I used 1 oz of Magnum, at 18% AA, in a 4 gal batch, for 63 IBU. Then I dry hopped with 1 oz of Cascade, for aroma and flavor.

I don't even pretend to be an expert, but I really like the resulting beer.

I'd buy 2oz Falconer, 1oz Columbus, 1oz Amarillo, 1oz Centennial and then I'd do:

.5oz Columbus @ 60
.5 of Centennial, Amarillo, and Falconer @ 15
.25 Columbus @ 15
.5 of Centennial, Amarillo, and Falconer @ 5
.25 Columbus @ 5

1oz of Falconer for 7 days dry hop.

That's MY opinion on it. I'd showcase the Falconer, since it's got a lot of the same qualities that the Amarillo and Centennial have. Columbus does have some citrusy notes to it, but it's more earthy/spicy/pungent.

Edit: Columbus is better used as a bittering hop, but it can be used for aroma/flavor too. The Amarillo/Centennial/Falconer combo will be fantastic if it's half as good as it should be.

I've never had falconer but I'd second Keffa's schedule. I did FWH in my last IPA but used a schedule like this but added some at flameout too. And did a double dry hop. But I stockpiled hops for a while.

I've never had falconer but I'd second Keffa's schedule. I did FWH in my last IPA but used a schedule like this but added some at flameout too. And did a double dry hop. But I stockpiled hops for a while.

:mug:

I'm just using what he gave me as options :p

I used 18oz. Ten gallon batch though. Maybe .75oz of columbus in FWH, then 1oz falconer for a week and then finish with the last .25oz of columbus. I like to add a little of that base aroma back.

That's interesting, I have never dry hopped with pellet hops. What I know about Falconer's is that it's not an actual strain, but a blend of strains pressed together into pellets. I was thinking of using an ounce of Columbus for bittering, is only using a half ounce going to be enough for bittering for a an ipa?

That's interesting, I have never dry hopped with pellet hops. What I know about Falconer's is that it's not an actual strain, but a blend of strains pressed together into pellets. I was thinking of using an ounce of Columbus for bittering, is only using a half ounce going to be enough for bittering for a an ipa?

Probably- it depends on the OG of the beer and the AAUs of the hops.

It also depends on what style you want;English & Australian lean more toward bittering. American leans more toward hop flavor & aroma. I used a little bittering & 4.5oz of hops the last 20 min or so. 1.5oz each of Columbus,Nugget,& cascade hops in equally timed additions. The last .5oz of each for a one week dry hop,making 6oz total.
You could smell it as soon as you popped it. Great grapefruit,orange flavor with a little lemon & earthy herby thing too. It also doesn't matter if you use pellet or whole leaf. But I think the whole leaf gives a better quality of flavor. The pellet hops are a bit sharper,as if they give bittering more easily...

Some good advice here guys, thanks. I'm guessing that the og should be about 1.066 based on the new grain bill ( I added a half pound of Munich to make 12 pounds total) I like the idea of a more flavor/aroma centered ipa so I might slide the additions to the end a bit. This is what I'm thinking

1 ounce Columbus @60
1 ounce Falconer's @20
1 ounce centennial @5
1 ounce Amarillo @1

I think I would really prefer to use whole hops to dry hop with because I'm not sure how to go about it with pellets. That will exclude Falconer's so what should I use for that tropical, fruity aroma?

Some good advice here guys, thanks. I'm guessing that the og should be about 1.066 based on the new grain bill ( I added a half pound of Munich to make 12 pounds total) I like the idea of a more flavor/aroma centered ipa so I might slide the additions to the end a bit. This is what I'm thinking

1 ounce Columbus @60
1 ounce Falconer's @20
1 ounce centennial @5
1 ounce Amarillo @1

I think I would really prefer to use whole hops to dry hop with because I'm not sure how to go about it with pellets. That will exclude Falconer's so what should I use for that tropical, fruity aroma?

Put the pellets in a sanitized nylon stocking. Done deal. Ideal for dry hopping.

I'd slide that 20 to 10 minutes. Better flavor at 10 minutes in my humble opinion, negligible change of IBUs.

If you just sprinkle them in they will disintegrate and float for awhile settling out over time. You will just need to be aware that when you rack for bottling or kegging you will have some floaters making the trip along with your finished beer. Doesn't hurt anything but it's not asthetically pleasing to people who don't know what it is. :(

If you just sprinkle them in they will disintegrate and float for awhile settling out over time. You will just need to be aware that when you rack for bottling or kegging you will have some floaters making the trip along with your finished beer. Doesn't hurt anything but it's not asthetically pleasing to people who don't know what it is. :(

Dry hop debris will clog the $h!t outta your kegs, too.

Good call geek - I still bottle so I don't have that problem. Bottling is problem enough.

Last time I dry hopped a beer, I just slipped a sanitized paint strainer bag over the end of my ez siphon. I guess I could sprinkle the pellets in and then use the same method to strain the beer into the bottling bucket. I got the ingredients, brewing tomorrow!

Back