Skyrim and Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsarkon

Reaction score
Am I the only one on this forum that plays video games and is really excited to see the prevalence of mead in the new Elder Scrolls V Skyrim? Hell, you can even visit a meadery. It's one of the first few buildings you pass after you escape the first dragon.

And who knew mead would replenish your stamina but slow it's replenishment ;D . I'm not gonna lie, I'm proud to be a mead home brewer. Hopefully with the huge presence mead has in Skyrim and the game's popularity amongst a large and widely set age bracket for its player basis there will be a spike in the interest for mead creation and consumption in the general public.

I'm thinking about making a special Skyrim batch. Maybe it'll be done by the time I beat the game :p

Ya the day I got the game I broke out a few bottles of my mead. It was awesome. If someone comes up with a recipe I would love to get a whole group to do a skyrim mead

This caught my eye and I just wanted to say, I just started brewing beer (2 brews so far) and have always had and interest in mead and will be brewing some soon (when I can find a cheap source of bulk honey). Also I love video games and have been playing Skyrim a bit and along with loving the game itself I really like them working in the meadery's. I always keep a good supply of mead and ale in the game. Happy brewing and gaming to you.

P.S. while walking around (I believe Windhelm) I heard an NPC talking about a Mead with Juniper berries. This might be a good Skyrim Mead. I myself always thought I would do one with Pomegranate juice.

Unfortunately I haven't got that far. I'm only a level 8 right now, and have only joined the Mage's guild. (sort of by accident) I work road construction, and would normally be layed-off right now and have poured hundreds of hours into the games of this fall, but we are too busy servicing the Marcellus gas industry all winter :( Sadly, it may take me years to get through Skyrim at this rate. I was also looking forward to brewing a 20% IPA that would need all kinds of attention, but haven't had the time to do that either. Since I do want to do a mead, do you have any good recipe's? I think I'm just going to stick with a pretty basic one to start out, and I want to do a really sweet mead. I know I don't want to back sweeten.

This game is making me tap into my mead stock more often than usual.

I just wish I had a tankard to drink out of instead of a glass mug. I'm working on a recipe for a skyrim mead if anyone wants to join. Most likely with juniper berries since that is one of the first things you hear in the game.

I just wish I had a tankard to drink out of instead of a glass mug. I'm working on a recipe for a skyrim mead if anyone wants to join. Most likely with juniper berries since that is one of the first things you hear in the game.

Here is what you need:

5385151621_03a7c894a8.jpg

Nevermind I take back the tankard. I NEED one of those. That is beautiful. I have a feeling if I was drinking mead out of that I would be consumed with a desire to go kill and skin something and wear its pelt around my shoulders with its head as a helmet.

Nevermind I take back the tankard. I NEED one of those. That is beautiful. I have a feeling if I was drinking mead out of that I would be consumed with a desire to go kill and skin something and wear its pelt around my shoulders with its head as a helmet.

HAHAHA! Me too....

Anyone remember the name of the actual Mead sold at the meadery? I'm only level 6 so forgive me if there's more than one. I'll have to check tonight if I can, being a computer engineer sucks, work way too many hours... Someday I'll open that meadery...

An interesting side note:
http://www.1up.com/features/twenty-facts-twenty-games said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
There is a story to go along with the creation of the dovahkiin (the dragon language, fully developed with a font, dictionary, and everything): According to game director Todd Howard, he told lead designer Emil Pagliarulo to come up with the dragon language. Pagliarulo had a small bit of writer's block, and over one weekend, had brewed some mead (an alcoholic beverage created with fermented honey). "Maybe it was the process of brewing mead; maybe it was from drinking all that mead. Whatever the case, I can say that after a mead-filled weekend, Emil came into the office on Monday with the dovahkiin language completely mapped out."

I've seen Mead in Elder Scrolls games, going back to Morrowind and Arena. Also other fantasy RPGs such as Fable. It's good to see the drink of choice hasn't changed.

I want to brew a good Mead for my friends, we always call for a stein of Mead at the bar atleast once a night and think its hilarious.

I've seen Mead in Elder Scrolls games, going back to Morrowind and Arena. Also other fantasy RPGs such as Fable. It's good to see the drink of choice hasn't changed.

I want to brew a good Mead for my friends, we always call for a stein of Mead at the bar atleast once a night and think its hilarious.

Yeah, but it's the drink of choice in Skyrim. :ban:

Atek said:
HAHAHA! Me too....

Anyone remember the name of the actual Mead sold at the meadery? I'm only level 6 so forgive me if there's more than one. I'll have to check tonight if I can, being a computer engineer sucks, work way too many hours... Someday I'll open that meadery...

An interesting side note:

I hear you about that damn overemployment problem. Not only do I have no time to brew, but i also have no time to play Skyrim! It makes me want to guzzle some mead, pick up my epic battle axe and go crazy on the civilized world! Too bad I don't have any dragon shouts that I can use yet......

In Skyrim it mentions that the dark elves in their homeland make very strong mead with red meat used in fermentation. Gross..... definitely don't want to try that one out. Oh and there are a quite a few meaderys in the game but most notably Honningbrew Meadery and the notorious Black Briar Meadery, for having connections with the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood, not to mention ridiculous prices! In thieves guild mission Maven Black Briar the head of the Black Briar family recruits you to shut down Honningbrew Meadery.

I hopped on the mead bandwagon because of skyrim! Actually, I had always wanted to give it a try, but skyrim was the push that made me remember it (as its EVERYWHERE in the game haha).

If I can perfect my recipe and enjoy the resulting brew, I'll be printing out "Dovahkiins Elixer" labels for the bottles when I do a bulk batch :rockin:

I could just name it "Skooma"...:lol:

My mead consumption goes up whilst playing Skyrim. And thanks to that Stormcloak chap at the beginning plan on making some with Juniper.

I will admit. I really wanted to try mead after I started playing the elder scrolls. I drink it while playing... I'm such a nerd :D

I will admit. I really wanted to try mead after I started playing the elder scrolls. I drink it while playing... I'm such a nerd :D

I'd wager most of us on this thread drink or have drunk mead while playing any one of the games in the elder scrolls. :-D

If we do come up with a Skyrim inspired mead, I feel it should be called honningbrew mead. :mug:

I wonder how many non brewers will try mead because of this game.

I wonder how many non brewers will try mead because of this game.
probably a good amount. i don't play skyrim but i am thinking about trying it. but i do read and i first heard of mead in the hobbit then in beowulf.

I have to admit, this game did cause a little inspiration to brew my own. If my attempts turn into success, I might give the junipers a try.

Nice Horn!! Did you make it?

When you drink mead from a horn, it results in an overwhelming urge to rape and pillage!!

Take care when purchasing a horn-

They can be unsealed (not good to drink from)
Sealed with synthetic resins (good to drink cold and hot drinks from, also spirits)
Natural beeswax (only drink cooler beverages from these)

They also hold more liquid than it may seem.

Fun to drink from, but SWMBO and I only use them during special occasions- a big stein can be set down on a table without spilling anything.

Happy pillaging

Edit...

Since this got off-topic, I figured I'd add something to bring it back...
I'm not sure I'd add juniper berries to mead unless I really liked the way gin tastes.

Annubis said:
Take care when purchasing a horn-

They can be unsealed (not good to drink from)
Sealed with synthetic resins (good to drink cold and hot drinks from, also spirits)
Natural beeswax (only drink cooler beverages from these)

They also hold more liquid than it may seem.

Fun to drink from, but SWMBO and I only use them during special occasions- a big stein can be set down on a table without spilling anything.

Happy pillaging

Edit...

Since this got off-topic, I figured I'd add something to bring it back...
I'm not sure I'd add juniper berries to mead unless I really liked the way gin tastes.

Why would anyone want to set their drink down at a party???!!! Sacrilege! Drink your beverage wuss! :)

This is pretty awesome and funny, because Skyrim is the reason I got back into drinking mead. I tried some mead once, and I wasn't too keen on it... Chaucer's, I think.

My bro in law actually inspired me to start making my own stuff. But I do drink mead while playing skyrim. I love to drink it warm, mulled over an orange slice and a cinnamon stick.

90a098922bed93e6141b00eec6f6046b6355db15_m.jpg

All he needs is to replace his gun with a bow and have a horn of mead and he'd be doing it right. Anyone have ideas for a skyrim mead? I bought some juniper berries and loved them but I love gin. I want to be able to give a bottle to my other gaming friends to drink once they finish every part of the game. I've already decided that the honey must be slightly carmalized with the breath of the dragon ( aka my firepit) and then maybe some herbs and berries. I might even accidentally leave some in the snow (freezer) and concentrate it to a skyrim shot =)

All he needs is to replace his gun with a bow and have a horn of mead and he'd be doing it right. Anyone have ideas for a skyrim mead? I bought some juniper berries and loved them but I love gin. I want to be able to give a bottle to my other gaming friends to drink once they finish every part of the game. I've already decided that the honey must be slightly carmalized with the breath of the dragon ( aka my firepit) and then maybe some herbs and berries. I might even accidentally leave some in the snow (freezer) and concentrate it to a skyrim shot =)

Seriously every part of the game.... that'll take forever.... ;)

Just bought 2 types of honey, raspberry and clover. I'm thinking I'll do 2 batches in springtime and call them "Honningbrew" and "Black-Briar" and see which one comes out on top.

Long time reader here, first time poster. I played skyrim for about a week and decided I needed to make these for my next two brews. I have a cyser recipe for the honningbrew and I'm debating on the Black briar any suggestions?

feel free to use these for your own brews.
skyrim_black_briar_mead_label_by_emptysamurai-d4jhn06.png

honningbrew_mead_label_by_emptysamurai-d4jfef0.png

I have not yet purchased a 360 or skyrim but I know in Morrowind, they have a flower called Heather which has been used in place of hops as a bittering agent and a preservative. Just a thought for a potential brew. I like the idea of Skooma too.

Drunkula, those are nice labels! If we ever come up with a standardized recipe for these two virtual meaderies would we be able to use these labels?

Latest posts

Back